Chapter 7: Socks

Socks was shocked. Nadwe was a vampire? But how?

                      Either way, it didn't matter. He clearly wasn't going to hurt anyone, and the poor kid looked terrified as Laff grabbed his arm.

                                                   "Let him go, Laff!" Meme hissed, his voice dangerously low. Socks saw a blue flash in Meme's eyes as his fist clenched.

                   "Laff, stop." Socks told him, glaring as he pried Laff's hand off Nadwe's arm, and marched Nadwe back over to Meme. Meme held Nadwe close in a hug for a moment before starting to leave, TBH following.

                                "This isn't over." Laff shouted after them. Turning to Socks, Laff was furious.

                                                        "Why didn't you let me get him! Vampires are dangerous, and-" Laff started to rant. Socks narrowed his eyes, letting anger flood through him.

          "I didn't let you 'get him' because you were out of line, Laff. Nadwe obviously isn't going to hurt anyone, and Meme is there to help control him even if he were to try and do something. The poor kid was terrified, Laff! You don't get to do that to people!" Socks yelled.

                                  "Fine. Do what you want Socks. A day of reckoning will be coming either way." Laff growled, whirling around to leave. "You humans are a menace." Laff muttered as he stalked off. Socks didn't pay attention to it.

                    "Socks, are you okay?" Blaza asked, walking over to be next to him.

         "Yeah, but I'm a little worried, Blaza." Socks admitted.

                                          "I'm sure everything will be okay, Socks." Blaza reassured him. Socks managed a weak smile, and told Blaza goodnight. He went to his room in the base.

                                                  "Well, Socksfor1. I've been waiting for the whole day to talk to you." A soft voice sounded, a hint of amusement in the voice.

                      "I honestly don't even know how I'm seeing you." Socks muttered, turning around to face the voice.

                                 "Isn't it obvious? THIS is your power. Duh." The playful voice responded.

                  "You're dead, Wiktoria. I've had people I love die before...and this never happened." Socks told her.

                                               "Maybe you've never been so closely involved before. Or maybe your power only showed up now for some other reason. Either way, you're the only one who sees me, Socks." Wiktoria told him, a lot more serious than she'd been.

                                   "I thought I didn't have a power...This is so weird!" Socks sighed, running his hand through his hair.

                 "Calm down, Socks. I need to talk to you." Wiktoria said. Socks winced as he looked at her ghostly form. There was a small hole in her stomach where the bullet had struck. Every time he saw it, it hurt. She shouldn't have had to die.

                                                "Okay. What do you need to tell me?" Socks questioned. It was going to be fine, he supposed. It's not like Wiktoria meant to be haunting him.

                                                         "Well, I'm assuming since you have the power to see me that you can also make other people able to see me." Wiktoria guessed. Socks was about to say how cool that was until she continued. "Don't do that. Other people can't know. I will tell you if I'm okay with it, but for now, don't. The others cannot be trusted yet." Wiktoria explained.