Chapter 23: Meme/???

He couldn't believe it. 

                                           As the others took TBH away, Meme stood there, shaking. Tears were still silently running down his face as he struggled to make sense of what had just happened.

                                                            "Meme?" Socks voice sounded, concern evident.

                  "What?" Meme managed to ask, still not being able to completely focus.

                                       "I'm sorry...and it'll be okay." Socks told him.

                                                                                           "No it won't, Socks. Nothing will ever be okay again. Wiktorias still dead, Nadwe almost got hurt, and my second most trusted friend betrayed me." Meme spat, his eyes watering again as he thought about it.

         Without warning, Socks hugged him. 

                                It took Meme a second to process, and then he hugged Socks back, finally letting go. He cried until he finally calmed down a little bit. Either that or he had no more tears left. Socks stood back, and put his hands on Memes shoulders, serious.

                                                            "It WILL be okay Meme. Maybe not today, or even next week...maybe even next month, but it will be okay eventually. I promise." Socks said gently. 

                   Seeing how much Socks seemed to believe it, Meme softened. Maybe Socks was right. Maybe with time...things would be better.  Maybe one day he would be able to wake up and go about his day without thinking of Wiktoria every second of every day. Maybe he'd be able to forget about TBHs betrayal. Maybe...things could be simple again.

                                                That's all he wanted.

                                                                                                                Before he could reply to Socks, however, Dino and Woolfster came over. 

                       "Hey, so...the furry wanted to let you know that he's in the prison. We'll talk to Laff and get a court date. Also, Nadwe's outside if you wanna check up on him." Dino told them.

                                    "I'm not a furry!" Woolfster muttered as they turned to leave. As Dino walked away, Woolfster turned back around. "Also...I'm sorry for not stopping Nadwe from basically putting himself in danger...I should've done better." He said with regret.

                                                             "Woolf, it's alright. Nadwe's stubborn, and I saw you protecting him when I came in. You did your job the best you could. Thank YOU for protecting him." Meme reassured Woolfster.

               Woolfster gave him a tentative smile, and walked out through the painting.

                                                                               "How about you go see Nadwe?" Socks suggested.

                               "I was just about to." Meme retorted, giving him a playful nudge on the shoulder to let him know he was just playing with him. Meme got up, and walked through the two paintings. 

                                                       Nadwe was sitting in one of the chairs inside. Meme walked over, and sat down. He quietly assessed how Nadwe looked. He SEEMED to be okay, albeit a little bit upset and stressed.