Chapter 20

From that day on, Camila and Lauren tried to work on their friendship.

They never met off guard duty and when they had lessons together they made sure to sit down with their classmates, but Lauren thought it was the best thing to do since when she was with the girl her self-control always went to whores.

Their conversations were light and fun, they never talked about things that were too intimate or about their relationship, and Lauren was surprised at how happy and relaxed Camila seemed lately. 

Gryffindor was making a commitment to be the friend she wanted and everything seemed to be going perfectly, even if every now and then Camila still stumbled upon her old habits. For example, Lauren often caught her reaching out to intertwine it with hers;  but then she suddenly she seemed to remember their agreement and she withdrew her hand with an apologetic look.

One night she walked over to her to kiss her before going to sleep and she was inches away from her when she noticed what she was doing. Lauren smiled at her and mumbled a shy greeting, before turning to brush away that terrible feeling in her stomach, which made her think of Camila's soft, longing lips. She too tried to ignore that part of her that had hoped that Camila would not stop her gesture.

It wasn't easy to keep their distance, but Lauren kept telling herself that it was what she needed, because as much as her heart continued to beat for that girl, their past was still intrinsic of broken promises and heartbreaking feelings.

For now what she needed was a simple friendship, pure and healthy.  And in a way it was working.

Spending time with Camila was no longer too embarrassing for Lauren: the tensions between them had eased, there were no more tears and between studying and Quidditch practice, the Slytherin felt she was finally back on track.

Girlfriends was the best.

-

"The Slytherin's favorite girl is here," sang Celine one Monday, walking into the bookstore and abandoning herself at the table where Lauren, Normani and Zayn were studying.

"How are you?"

"Well, right now I'm contemplating the idea of ​​throwing myself off the Clock Tower." Normani sighed, looking up from the book and smiling at his friend.

"So I'd say great".

Celine gave Lauren a confused look and she explained.

"Normani is behind with the Potions course."

"I've been confined to this side of the table," Zayn grinned at Lauren's side. "Obviously my beauty is too much of a distraction at the moment."

Normani kicked the boy from under the table and smiled when he let out a scream.

Lauren stifled a laugh as the boy rubbed his leg in pain "You're pretty happy today ..." he said then looking at Celine "Is there a reason in particular?".

"Maybe" replied the allusive Ravenclaw.

"It depends."

"From what?"

"From your answer to my question."

"Lauren frowned and placed the book on the table, bringing all attention to her friend.

"Let's hear, what do you want to know?"

"What do you think of Victoire?"

"Do you mean Victoire Weasley?"

Celine nodded and Lauren looked even more confused.

"Um ... she's ok, I think" she said "I've never really talked to her ... why?"