Friends

Two days had passed. 

And my life has been surprisingly better already. I sat next to Joel who was staring intently at the page he was reading, in the sketchy alley outside the cafeteria. Over the past two days, some very weird stuff had happened. 

Joel aka pretty boy was- I can't believe I am saying this- my friend?

Over the past two days, I had been approached by him and Jaxon multiple times. At first, I ignored them but then I gave up. I was going to be beaten up anyways why not just make most of the time that I had left.

Over the past two days I had realized that Joel loved, and I mean he was obsessed with books. And I have come to really like that about him. He was always either reading or 'trying' to flirt with me.

Over the past two days, I got to know that Joel was Joel Hastings, also the heir of a rich business back in his hometown. Damn all this school really has are rich and privileged kids. 

Over the past two days, I have realized that Jaxon wasn't so bad after all. He never brought up the scarf and flinching incident again which I was thankful for. He was what you call a true gentleman. He didn't speak much and his face was always emotionless but he was immensely protective of me. When I said 'trying' for Joel's flirting it's because he always ended up getting smacked by Jaxon whenever he tried to.

I laughed every time at him but my heart always fluttered when Jaxon got possessive over me. Okay, I admit I have a crush on him. A massive crush. But I mean who wouldn't ? Just look at the guy. He was sculpted by the Gods. But unfortunately, nothing would ever happen between us. Talking or hanging out with him is just not a privilege that I could ever have after my adoptive parents are back. 

Today is the third day. Just four more days till they are back. I don't even know if I would be alive four from now so I promised myself that I will make the most of it. 

"Thinking about me already?" Joel said raising an eyebrow at me when he realized that I wasn't really reading but looking blankly at the concrete floor in front of me. I looked at him rolling my eyes and standing up from the stairs right after Joel got smacked by Jaxon yet again. 

"Ow man that hurt!" Joel replied rubbing the back of his head. I snickered as Jaxon's eyes clicked to mine and he looked at me, his eyes softening. He really needs to stop doing that. I turned my eyes away not wanting to like this guy anymore as he took out a cigarette, lit it, and started smoking.

I didn't like people who smoked. They were just killing themselves. But when Jaxon smoked it was a sight to watch. He just looked hot. Edible. Sexy. Any possible word you could use. He leaned back at the wall as his veiny perfect arms crossed around his broad chest. His index and middle fingers held the cancer stick in between and his soft pink lips pulled in the smoke.

As he exhaled the smoke floated around him and I swear I could see the silhouette of an angel standing there in the disguise of the devil. I frowned a bit knowing that he was just killing himself so I went ahead to stop him. 

I looked around seeing that Joel was now engrossed in his book so I went and stood in front of Jaxon. He raised an eyebrow at me. 

"Can you please not smoke," I stated looking at him right in the eye.

"And why not?" He said taking in another blow. He knew that it bothered me and he wasn't going to cower like this.

"Fine then let me try it too," I said knowing very well what I was doing.

He abruptly stopped leaning on the wall and stood up straight towering over me.

"No." He said looking at me challenging me to try and deny him. 

"Yes," I replied.

"No"

"Yes" 

"No, you aren't smoking Mia." He stated in a deadly tone. 

"Why not? You smoke almost every day so there must be something good about it right? I want to try too!" I said looking at him innocently. 

He looked at me for a while then finally shaking his head and dropping the cigarette stepping on it. I smiled at him big doing a little dance in my brain. 

"Give me your phone." He suddenly said and I stared at him like he had grown two heads. 

"Why?" I said taking my phone out from my back pocket.

"Because I said so," he said trying to snatch the phone from me but me being myself I flinched as his hand came towards me.

I instantly regretted doing that. "Sorry" I muttered as I gave him my phone. He was looking at me with pity again. Damn it. "You don't have to apologize Mia." He said. After a few taps, he gave me my phone back and said, "I put in my number".

"Oh" is all I could say blushing slightly at my embarrassing moment.

Soon after the bell rang and lunch ended as all of us walked off in different directions saying our goodbyes.