Bullets

"Hey, Jaxon?" I asked breaking the comfortable silence that had settled between us after our long and very heated make-out session on the bed. Even though I really, really want to do other things, Jaxon only ever went kissing until the bottom of my collar bone and his hands only ever went down onto my butt. 

He was only waiting for me to say it. But I couldn't. What can I say I was shy about these things and after my disgusting adoptive father almost rape experience I was just- I don't know. Scared? I know Jaxon would never force me to do anything but I just wasn't comfortable enough. 

I now lay beside Jaxon on the bed, his hand stroking my hair and my cheek plastered on his chest listening to his heartbeat. My hands played with the chain around his neck.

"Hm?" He staring at the roof blankly. 

"I have meaning to ask you this- what's this metal thing on your chain? It looks like it's almost melted." I asked moving the blade pendant I gave him out of my way and pulling the metal up so he could see. 

"That's a bullet."

"A bullet?" I asked as he sideways facing me, his head on his arm and his elbow on the pillow. Then he nodded. 

"Yeah, it belonged to my father. He gave it to me."

"Why a bullet? It doesn't even look like one though?" I asked twirling it between my fingers. 

"It was the first bullet my father had ever taken. It had melted because he had to take it out with tweezers that were burning hot. He didn't have anything else at that circumstance and the tweezers were not sterile. He didn't have a choice." 

"That must have hurt a lot." 

"I did. He had taken a lot of bullets throughout his time in the mafia but he always said that this one had hurt him the most. But he did it for my mother."

"Your mother?"

"Yeah, my father wasn't born into this world, but my mother was. Her ancestors were from the Russian mob. The first time when my father had taken this bullet, he was trying to save my mother because he saw someone shoot at her but he didn't know that she was in a mafia gang."

"Wait. Why aren't you a part of the Russian mob then? Or- are you? Am I in the Russian mafia!?" I almost started to freak out knowing that I was about to be the decedent of the bloodiest mafia in history.

Jaxon chuckled, putting a strand of hair behind my ear. "No, baby. We arent the Russian mafia. My mother fell in love with my father who hadn't been in the mafia and she was looked down upon because of that. My mother's gang started threatening her to leave my father or they would kill her." 

His face soon became grim. "But she didn't. She left with my father, but I guess even after she left the mafia life, the life never left her. They followed her and tried to kill my father and mother multiple times. The only way for them to survive was to join a gang that welcomed them with open arms." 

His eyes clicked at me and said, "The Titans."

I nodded in understanding and he continued. "The Titans were only a new gang back then and my mother was a blessing. She trained all of them and soon after took over the whole gang. The gang flourished. My father supported her because it was the only way to survive, but after my mother died, my father took over." 

"Wow, they have a nice love story," I said. I didn't expect that. I had always thought that mafia leaders were always cruel and couldn't like anyone but this was nothing like it. Jaxon was nothing like it. 

"My gang has the utmost respect for women. My mother played a very big role to bring up the gang to where it is now so she is worshipped as a goddess in my gang. That is why my gang doesn't indulge in trafficking and mistreating women like other gangs do. It's forbidden." He said with a hint of proudness in his voice. 

"Damn okay, I never thought I would hear a womanizer ever say that" I joked trying to lighten the mood. It was getting too serious.

"I'm not a womanizer," He said his eyebrows furrowing adorably. 

"Really?" I questioned as he rolled his eyes. "What? Your reputation precedes you" 

"It's not my fault they wanted to get on their knees for me willingly" He replied smirking cockily.

"You could have always said no." it was my turn to roll my eyes as a swift pang of jealousy entered my heart. 

"Any man who has ever done that would be a saint, and I am no saint honey," he said winking at me as I shook my head.

"Oh come on now, you only know I have got my eyes on you." He said.

"Sure until some other girl comes along." I teased back.

He suddenly pulled me close to him and he was now on top of me. "Baby, I have never felt this way before, and you know that. All those girls, they were only feeding my need to feel something in this world of violence and blood, but that's all they were, just a one-night stand."

"But you, my beautiful, strong, amazing, Mia. You are different. You are my everything." He finished leaning in and kissing me deeply. My body became warm all over and my heart swelled at his words. I was left speechless soon after as he smiled at me.

"Okay now freshen up and let's go eat something. We have to be somewhere tomorrow so you need good sleep."

"Be where?" I asked.

"It's a gala. Organized by the 'Phoenix' mafia gang this year. Every year a different underworld gang organizes it. Every leader shows up to this. It's a traditional thing but nowadays everyone just uses it for business." He rolled his eyes.

"Gala, okay got it." I nodded as I kissed him on the cheek and went my way to the bathroom.

Tomorrow would be my first real exposure to the mafia world.

I just hope it goes well.