♤ Mourning Never Comes ♤

Warnings: angst, mentions of death, possible mention(s) of suicide

~~~~

A lone man sat on the river's shore, a small candle wrapped gently in his hands. The man's dark green hair slightly waved in the light breeze, its color almost fading into the dark of the twilight woods around him. The man held a match in one hand now, setting the candle gently on a little wooden raft. He struck the match against his thumbnail, lighting it ablaze, he then slowly and carefully lit the candle, all while remaining quiet. Once the match was put out and the candle was alight, the man lifted the raft up from the ground and set it in the river, feeling the current pull at the raft. "I light this candle so you may feel my warmth on the anniversary of your death. May you feel my arms around you and my presence beside you. I miss you dearly, my beloved." As he spoke the words he had spoke every year prior, the man let the raft that held the candle go and watched it drift down stream. "It may have been five years since then... but I still can't get over you," The man stood up slowly, straightening his armor and making sure his trident was secure. As he turned to walk away, he saw something on the shore opposite of him. A large cat with bright yellow glowing eyes, which pierced through the darkness, sat there, its presence elegant and pure. The big cat gazed at the man, he felt a sense of comfort and healing.

Never forget that I am always by your side and within your heart.

Every year after that, when Sam would go down to the river's shore to pay respects to his lost love, the big cat would sit on the opposite bank, seeming to mourn with him. The cat's piercing yellow eyes had a soft glow to them, they brought Sam comfort and calm as they gently stared into him. He welcomed the big cat's presence, eventually greeting it as if it were an old friend when he went to the river.

I feel as if I am in the presence of an old friend, an old friend who I loved dearly and miss every day, my love.

On the day Sam came to the river's shore for the last time, he hobbled to the edge, kneeling down, though he knew he may not get up again. He looked across the river, spotting the cat, who looked as young as ever, he waved and smiled, the cat nodding in return. After setting the candle alight and letting it go on its journey, the old man let out a sigh, for he could not get up, for he was having trouble breathing. His breathing slowed slowly and he collapsed into the soft sand, nothing but the company of the big cat on his mind, along with the one he lost all those years ago. As he began to close his eyes for the final time, Sam noticed the cat was with him, curling its massive body around him, protecting him on his last journey. He sighed his final breath, comforted by the cat's embrace, awaking in a new form and staring down at what he used to be. The large wolf stared down at the old man's body before him, remembering the life he had lived, remembering the love he had experienced. When he looked up, the wolf locked eyes with the cat, but this was no big cat, it was his long lost love who had been taken from him too soon all those years ago.

For you the world, my love.