Chapter 27 Part 4: Heart To Heart: Tokyo Drift

---------

"This is Davis."

"Hi, Lieutenant. Are you at the station right now?"

"Considering I have no real concept of work/life balance, the answer is unfortunately yes. But I'm about to walk out the door. What's up?"

"Can you open the back door? It's important."

"I would, kid, but I have a call with my ex-wife and our lawyers in an hour and I want to have time to relax and take a shower first. You say you're outside right now?"

"Yes. Is anyone else around?"

"No, everyone is on duty or gone home. What's so important?"

"What's the minimum amount of a sample that you can test for drugs?"

"Depends on the drug. Why?"

"Well, I've got a hand covered in a white powder I think might be some kind of drug."

"I'm sorry, you what?"

"Yeah, I was checking out the gas station that was on the list and they had like thirty pallets of the stuff in an old garage out back. I took a bag of it but these three identical guys attacked me and one of them tore the bag."

"..."

"Look, can I please come in? It's freezing out here."

"*sigh* Give me a sec."

----------

Wyatt smiled gratefully as he took the mug from Lt. Davis. The thick steam coming off the top of it filled the air with the earthy smell of coffee.

"I warn you," the policeman said," it's not very good but at least it's warm."

At the moment, that's all that really mattered to Wyatt. The trip had been much colder than the trip out and his teeth had only just stopped chattering. His fingers were grateful for the warmth of the mug.

"The test should take a few minutes," the older man said as he lowered himself into his worn-looking work chair. "I'm not one of the lab guys so it won't be the most exact results, but it should give us an idea of what we're working with."

Exactly as he had said, the police station was empty. The only sound outside of the tiny office where they sat was the buzz of the overhead lights. It seemed odd to Wyatt after the incessant roaring of the wind in his ears as he'd flown back to town. He'd flown all that way to come back to town and he was just as alone as he had been outside. It was good; if there had been people here, they no doubt would have had a problem with a costumed superhero wandering around the building.

THere hadn't been many people last time he'd been here either but it felt to see the building so empty and silent.

None of this seemed to bother Lt. Davis though. He looked like he had spent every night here alone at the station for all of that the situation seemed to bother him. He seemed that way about most things though. The man had a certain unflappability to him. You could probably tell him that his car was on fire outside and he just would calmly walk outside to handle it.

The office was similarly without frills. There were no crazy decorations, just a few pictures frames on the desk and a mug full of what looked like coffee on a copy of a dog care magazine. The furnishings were sparse, just the desk and chair plus a few chairs for visitors to sit in, though there honestly wasn't room for much else in the very small room. The whole thing was maybe six foot square. Wyatt had to move his knees for the door to close.

Lt. Davis took a long sip on the coffee cup on his desk. Wyatt doubted it was hot. Judging on the quality of the coffee, the man was probably drinking it more caffeine than the taste.