Chapter 4: Tests and Evaluations

TRANSCRIPT OF INITIAL CONVERSATION BETWEEN WYATT HATCH AND DR. PENNY HEARSE, HEAD PSYCHOLOGIST

DOCTOR HEARSE: Wyatt, come in. Good to meet you. As we said during the tour, I'm Doctor Hearse, the head psychologist here at Chiron Academy. Is there anything I can get you? Water? Juice? Pop?

WYATT HATCH: ...No, thanks.

DH: Well, this has been a long day for me; I'm going to grab some coffee if you don't mind. Do you want one? Do you drink coffee?

WH: I'm fine.

DH: Alright, well, I realize this is probably a weird day for you, but how are you doing? Was your flight okay?

WH: Pretty average.

DH: The flight? Do you fly a lot?

WH: Enough.

DH: Oh, well, I read in your file that your superhero handle is 'Flyerman', so I guess you know a few things about flying, huh. (laugh) Touche. That's a very interesting name, by the way. What made you pick Flyerman?

WH: ...I could fly.

I was like thirteen at the time. It seemed kind of cooler at the time. It's kind of dumb-looking back now, I guess, but I've kind of gotten used to it.

DH: That's cool. So, you've been at this for quite a while then. Is that like four years?

WH: Something like that I guess.

DH: Man, I think that's so cool. Young kids going out and wanting to give back to the neighborhood. I have so much respect for you guys. And to think you've been doing it for so long. Y'know, I think you might be the longest-serving person here. If you don't mind me asking, what made you want to get started?

WH: ... I just got tired of seeing people get hurt by people who didn't care who they hurt or how much.

DH: Like what?

WH: I don't know. Like bullies, I guess. People who like to hurt others. And they get away with it.

DH: Does that make you angry? That people get away with hurting people?

WH: I guess so.

DH: Well, I'm going to be around all of the time and I just want you to know that my door is always open. And if I'm not around, you can just talk to my secretary, and she can get a hold of me. I shouldn't be too far away. Y'know, if you ever want to talk or anything that's going on here or if you're feeling anything. Even if you just want to talk about the Packers or something. (laughs) Do you like sports? What do you do when you're not "superhero"-ing?

WH: I read mostly.

DH: Oh, wow, that's so cool, not only are you civically-minded but you read as well. What do you read?

WH: Different stuff.

DH: Well, we're running out of time; I've got all of the other kids to talk to. Maybe we can talk more about that next time we meet.

WH: Sure.

END OF TRANSCRIPT

--------

"Sooooo, Mr. Hatch." Dr. Hammond started in a slow monotone.

"Looking over your test scores we got from your school, you've managed to flunk almost every required course you've taken for the last year."

Wyatt just shrugged.

"With the exception of" he looked down to consult a paper on his desk," a 'D' in English last semester. Congratulations, Mr. Hatch. That's got to be some kind of record."

Dr. Hammond continued.

"Looking at your test scores from today, you are two grades behind in the sciences and one grade behind in math. You did however managed to score above average in English and just above average in history. That takes your graduation chances down considerably not to mention your university acceptance status. Speaking of college, on an ACT equivalent, you scored a paltry 17 points overall, though we're still waiting on your essay to be graded."

"This all culminates into a big picture that isn't great. If I may ask Mr. Hatch, what do you feel are your plans for university?"

Wyatt cleared his throat.

"I haven't really thought about it, I guess."

"That, I believe." Dr. Hammond said. He began to massage his forehead with his thumb and forefinger.

"What you want to do with your future, Mr. Hatch? Where do you want to be?"

"Honestly, I... just want to be a hero."

"Oh, well, in that case, Mr. Hatch. Why don't I just let you on your merry way?" He made a sound that might have been him attempting a laugh.

"I don't want to denigrate your chosen 'profession', but," his voice dripped with sarcasm surprising from a voice so dry. "Have you thought about anything more real?"

Wyatt was beginning to feel increasingly hot beneath the collar. What was more real than saving people from burning buildings or stoppers murderers?

"I know that given our current surroundings, this may sound hypocritical. But the odds of becoming a professional superhero are longer than becoming a professional sports player. Short of one or two highly competitive teams, the vast majority of heroes has to hold down a job of some sort. Or maybe two. Given that they spend a large portion of their time on vigilante crime-fighting, it makes it hard to hold a job with a decent wage, let alone benefits or retirement."

"Now, I have other people to see, but think about it. 'What do I want to be?' Try to be realistic."

"Here is your study load for the time being," he said passing a small half sheet of paper to Wyatt. It had 5 or 6 subjects listed on it. Wyatt recognized some of them; he'd failed a few of them already at school. He folded the paper and put it in his pocket.

"That's going to be passed to the teachers and tutors so for the time being that's going to be your life during school time. I know that you turn eighteen sooner than later and I'd like to make sure that you're at least able to have a high school diploma to join you at McDonald's before you go."

Wyatt forced a smile as best he could on his way out.

---------