Chapter 16.3: Punching Amy

Wyatt slid a glove over his left hand.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw William and Sally helping each other slide their boxing gloves on.

"Now remember Sally," William was saying as he pulled the velcro strap across closed around her wrist, "you've got to remember your rotation into hooks and crosses. Achilles says if you're not twisting, you're robbing your punches of power."

"I'm going to get it this time," Sally responded punching at the air in front of her. "I hope you're ready for these punches. I am rage!"

William took a kneeling position in front of her, putting him just at her eye level. He held his hands out palm forward in front of her.

"Let's see some of those famous jabs."

She nodded slowly as she pulled her arms up in front of her, her elbows tucked in. Her chin was her full contact with her chest, and she stared at him awkwardly beneath her brow, willing her eyes to look as far up as possible.

"AAAAAAGHH," she yelled as she swung her arms madly at his gloves. Her mouth was open wide, her eyes alight with intensity.

"Woah, Sally," Achilles said, as he walked over to the pair. "Don't kill him yet. We need him alive."

"Oh, sorry, Achilles," William rushed, as he rose, "I know we haven't really started yet, but- "

"Don't worry, William, your desire to improve does you credit. But I do have to apologize to Sally."

He dropped to one knee next to her.

"I am going to have to steal your partner away from you. I want him to be with someone a little closer to his own height. But don't worry, I have someone equally capable of handling those gale force punches of yours."

"William, why don't you," he said rising," go over join and Mariah; it looks like she doesn't have anyone yet."

"Someone her size?" Ryan said, pointing at Sally. "Why not team her up with Gary? He's about the size of a small girl. He probably has to look up at her."

"Ooooh," Todd laughed as Gary faked indignation.

"Sure thing, Ryan," Gary retorted. "Then we'll have you partner with one of the school buses. That's the only thing around here that's your size."

"Hah," Todd called out," you're faaaat!"

Achilles either didn't hear them or ignored them because he said nothing as he scanned the class for the person he was looking for. His eyes lit up as he found them.

"Hey, Tom, can you come over here?" He yelled across the gym.

"He's gonna be your new partner," he told Sally. "I know you don't want to be split from William, but I think you'll like this guy. I know for a fact that he's very qualified."

Sally twisted her head towards where Achilles had yelled to see who he was talking about.

The second the figure emerged from the crowd Wyatt recognized him. You could recognize the Crow anywhere by his easy and confident gait, even without his iconic yellow and black domino mask. He always seemed to keep the whole crowd in his view. He wasn't tense or paranoid, but he was aware of his surroundings and aware of the fact that he was probably the most dangerous person there.

Wyatt suddenly felt very naked in his workout clothes. Why hadn't he worn his costume? Granted, his costume was so sweaty, it was the stink was probably visible at this point, but Wyatt's lowly gym uniform left him feeling as underdressed as if he had worn his sweaty shorts and -shirt to a black-tie event.