Chapter 7.5: Camera

Wyatt swung around in his bus seat to better face his crew members. He'd seen them before, naturally, but this time he was taking them in, trying to take in any benefit they could bring to the competition.

Sally was a bit of a wash. Her little legs wouldn't be able to move that fast and in addition to her lack of any visible muscle, her short arms guaranteed that wouldn't have reach on anyone they were likely to fight. Barring a lawn gnome coming to life anyway.

William was a bit stringy looking. Wyatt remembered he had said something the other day about being on the track team and he looked it: tall and lean, not devoid of muscle but not quite a bruiser. Still, it sounded like speed would be a factor, with trying to get the ball back to their section, so that could be helpful.

"William," Wyatt said suddenly. " You said your light powers made you stronger than are without them. How much stronger?"

William thought about it for a moment.

"I'm not sure, I guess. I've never tried lifting while I've got that on."

"Can you ballpark it?" Wyatt said pressing. "Is it like you can pick up a car or like you can punch a bit harder than normal?"

"Well, I know I hit harder than usual when I've got the light going. I don't think I could lift a car. Maybe if I was fully charged-?"

"Charge up? Like what you did in class yesterday?"

"No. I mean, I have to soak in the light before I can use it. Like, absorb it."

"Well, how much light do you have absorbed now?"

"Ummm... about as much as I usually do, I guess."

Changing tactic, Wyatt moved onto his next question.

"How long can you maintain the light going? Will you have to take time to reapply during the event?"

"I can hold the light structures themselves for a long time. I had a shape I made formed under my bed to test how long I could maintain it. It lasted for like two months. I think I could have gone longer but-"

Wyatt glanced out the window, they must be approaching the place soon. They were losing time.

"But the actual glowing arms, how long can you hold that?"

"About eight, ten minutes. After a few minutes, it starts to tire me out."

"So you might have to reapply a few times if the game goes long?" Wyatt asked.

"Yeah, probably. But I should have enough light stored up to last the whole time. I've been trying to gather more than I normally do recently."

That surprised Wyatt. William out when the moon was? He assumed William went to bed before the sun even went down. It would explain his early morning cheeriness.

That was all he needed from William. He changed targets to Sally. Sally sally sally. What could she bring to the party?

"So, Sally. What do you do?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Is there anything you're good at?"

"Well," she said, sitting up straight, "I'm one of the best girls in my whole ballet class and I got an A in math last year. My teacher said I'm really good-"

"Something that could help us in the game, Sally." Wyatt clarified.

Sally bit her lip.

"Well,... I'm not really sure-" she mustered.