Chapter 3

Wyatt's mind suddenly switched from a million miles a minute to a dead stop. All he could do is stare as his fate walked toward him. His many plans were replaced with an utter void of anything to do. He looked at his father, powerless.

"Now what's this about?" Wyatt's dad demanded, from the door.

"Not to be blunt, Mr. Hatch, but we've come in relation to your son's nocturnal excursions. Are you aware of your son's identity as the teenage superhero, nicknamed 'Flyerman'?"

His dad might as well have been hit in the gut. His eyes bulged out of his head and he seemed for a moment not to breathe. His eyes moved back and forth between the woman and Wyatt.

"Hmmm, didn't think so," replied the woman. She gestured toward the dinner table. "Maybe you should take a seat, Mr. Hatch."

"So... So what are you saying?" his father stammered back at the woman.

"I realize this may come as a shock to you, sir. But we have strong reason to believe that your son has been acting as a teenage vigilante for some time now. I know this must surprise you, and once again I hate to be so blunt about this, but we are in a rather large hurry. I'm sure you are not unaware of the political situation around that right now. Before you ask, we're not here to arrest anybody."

For the first time since this dizzying scene began, Wyatt spoke from his still kneeling position on the couch.

"Well then, what are you here for?" he asked as bravely as he could muster.

He tried his hardest to hold his posture erect and demand respect, but it was very hard while kneeling on a couch.

"What we are here for tonight, Wyatt," the woman said slowly," is to discuss your options."

------------

All were seated at the table. Wyatt sat back in his chair, subtly to separate himself from the conversation as much as possible.

"Now for the record, Wyatt," the female agent said," I appreciate civic zeal in young people. However, I'm sure you can appreciate why things can no longer be as they were. I can tell you that the president and by extension, the justice department intends to be thorough in their dedication to this issue. If you continue to do what you are doing now, when you are caught, jail times will be heavy, leniency may well be nonexistent."

The woman looked pointedly at both of them.

"I promise you that Wyatt's future has a great deal to do with what you decide today."

"You have three options." She continued. "Option 1: you can continue to do what you are doing now. Only now, while the police may have been friendly with you before, now they hound you. You will be a fugitive. State and national level law enforcement will be involved. You will lose. This will be the end of your crime-fighting career."

"-But if he stops now," Wyatt's dad piped in," and doesn't do this anymore, he'll be okay, right? He won't go to jail or anything for that?"

The woman nodded.

"The president has decided to be lenient and waive any litigation for previous actions young Wyatt may have taken as a vigilante.

So that's your Option #2, Wyatt: You can stop. No more cape and tights, and in turn, you will be fine. I know you may feel some obligation to help out in the community, but that is what law enforcement officers are for. We did okay before you and we will do okay without you."

It was just like the talk he'd had with Todd, he realized. Everyone was willing to ignore everything they'd done.

"Well, I'm sure that's a very fair offer," Wyatt's dad said ignoring his son's words. "I'm sure that Wyatt appreciates the leniency he's being shown. I-"