Chapter 13: Problems

12x^4-36x^2+2=36

Wyatt idly mused about the solution to the offending function. He knew he had the ways to find the answer in his class notes but he hoped if he stared at the paged long enough, the problem would just give up and solve itself.

Wyatt continued his long stared at the numbers on the page beneath him.

The numbers stubbornly stared back, unchanging.

Sighing, Wyatt looked up from his math book on the lunch table and took in the cafeteria. He'd set himself up on the edge of the room on a table by himself. The ten or twelve tables were generally a bit empty, leaving everyone a bit of space if they wanted It. Wyatt wondered if it was because teenagers might need some extra space for when tempers flare too hot or they had purchased enough tables for a growing student body as more and more kids joined.

Then again, Wyatt wondered, maybe they just bought too many tables.

Wyatt didn't really mind sitting alone. It seemed better than the alternatives. It had been a few days since the competition, and the prospect of sitting with his squad did not appeal to him anymore now than it had initially.

He could see them a few tables away. The three of them seemed to be chatting quietly. Or at least Sally and William were. Mariah seemed to be maintaining her usual silence.

Wyatt turned his gaze to Todd's table. His friend and the only people he really knew at the school were deep in some discussion; Wyatt couldn't tell what it was about they were all leaning in over the table so it must be interesting, whatever it was.

A part of him wanted to go sit by them. They all seemed really cool and, if he had to be honest, they were the only people he really knew at the school. Wyatt hated having to meet new people.

Well, that wasn't quite right. He didn't mind meeting new people, he could be nice when called upon. It so much about the meeting, it was more about letting people in. Wyatt had little experience with making new friends. He had grown very much alone with only a few close friends. His mom had probably been his closest friend. He had lived a very isolated life until he had run into Todd on that fateful day when they had gained their powers.

Turning his eyes to other tables, he wondered if he should go and join one of the other tables. There were definitely others he could go sit with if he wanted.

The Crow was a table near the entrance to the cafeteria, surrounded by an entourage of onlookers. Given that he was the biggest celebrity at the school, Wyatt wasn't really surprised. However, he didn't want to be lumped in with the people who just wanted to be friends with him because he was famous. Though in the back of his mind, Wyatt did wish he'd brought his Raven and Crow poster from home for the Crow to sign.

The Crow to his credit seemed to be politely conversing with the crowd around him even if Wyatt could tell he seemed that excited by the talk around him.

A few tables over were the bear girl and her squad. Wyatt wondered what sitting at that table would be like, more out of curiosity than a desire to join them. Their fighting during the competition really had left a bad taste in Wyatt's mouth. He'd heard rumors about Gary Ghoul's injuries after getting beaten by them. He'd heard different accounts, but apparently, it was bad.

Also, Wyatt wasn't sure if Bear Girl had forgiven him for outrunning her in the games. Or for the bang to the head that had knocked her out. Better to steer clear, he decided.

Wyatt turned his attention back to the math book on the table beneath him.

Perhaps it's time to finally get down to this homework stuff, he conceded. After all, it was due tomorrow.