Chapter 9: Todd vs. the Crow

Wyatt sat on a patch of grass outside the game area. He glanced at one of the nearby TV's showing the matches. The last three squads were competing.

Wyatt turned his eyes back to his phone. He hadn't recognized anyone from the squads playing, and even then, the knowledge that they were out of the competition took down his desire to follow what was happening in the games.

He scrolled through social media, not really paying attention to it either. His mind was elsewhere. They had been so close to winning. He had had the ball in his hands. Wyatt hadn't paid too much attention to the matches after his, but he heard people saying that their match had been the longest of all of them. He'd even gotten a few compliments from people as he'd walked around for a bit.

"Hey. Wyatt."

Wyatt looked up to see Amy standing above him on the grass. She had on the school gym uniform, the yellow t-shirt and the blue shorts.

"I just wanted to say 'Good job' on the game. You pulled some pretty cool moves in there."

"Thanks," he answered bluntly.

He wasn't much in the mood to talk to anyone. He was trying to distract himself from thinking about the game, every time he thought about it, his blood started to boil. Even now he felt his frustration about the match begin to swell again.

"I thought that was a really cool move when you jumped over garbage cans; I thought that would work to stop the bear girl. I guess not though," she said with a shrug.

"Yeah, I did too," he said vacantly.

All of those things he did to try and win didn't seem as important now. After all that, he'd still lost.

He gripped his hand into a fist and pounded it against the ground.

It hadn't been his fault. He'd done everything he could to try and win. And they'd lost.

In the background, the air horn blared. The match had ended. That meant it was time for the championship match, with the winners for all of the other matches competing.

Great, Wyatt thought. 

He was really trying to forget the game, and all of this was not helping. He turned his eyes back to his phone. He could feel Amy's eyes watching him. He knew he should say something to her, but he just was too riled up about the match.

"Well, I can see you are very busy, so I'll leave the two of you alone," she said, glancing at the phone in his hands.

Wyatt suddenly felt guilty for ignoring her. He didn't want to talk to anybody, but she didn't deserve rudeness. She'd just come over to pay him a compliment.

"Sorry," he said quietly, lowering his phone. 

 "No sweat, man," she said, cheerily. "I just wanted to tell you did a good job,"

"Thanks," Wyatt uttered slowly.

"You're welcome," she said over her shoulder as she walked away.

Wyatt sighed heavily. Turning his attention back to his phone, he lost himself in scrolling through feeds for a while.

"Hey, Wyatt," Todd said walking up.

"Hey, Todd," Wyatt replied, still staring at his phone.

"I just wanted to tell you did good in the game," Todd said. "They were replaying it on one of the TV's during the last match. You did really good."

"Thanks," Wyatt said.

"Can I sit with you?" Todd asked, pointing at the grass next to Wyat.

"If you want to," Wyatt shrugged.