Chapter 3.75 Lunch

Wyatt looked around the busy lunchroom for Todd. The room was similar to a school cafeteria, smaller than Wyatt's. The room was filled with young people. He had yet to get a really good look at everyone at once, and everyone here looked very ... normal? He wasn't sure what he expected but it honestly looked pretty much like the one at his high school.

Suddenly, he caught Todd's eye. He was sitting at a table toward the edge of the room. Wyatt made his way over and sat down across from him.

"So, what do you think?" he said as he sat down his tray.

"I don't know yet. Seems all right, I guess." Todd said looking around the small crowded cafeteria.

"Somehow" Todd continued. " I didn't imagine that when I had to leave high school to attend a shadowy government training ground, I would be eating mac and cheese in a cafeteria. For as much as things have changed, they don't seem to have changed all that much."

Wyatt chuckled. "Yeah, no kidding."

A voice appeared over Wyatt's shoulder.

"Hey, is it cool if I sit with you guys?"

Wyatt turned to see a tall, muscular guy with his hair pulled back into a man-bun. He wore a plain white shirt red block styled 'SR' in the center.

"Yeah, sure, dude," Todd replied with a smile.

"I am so stoked for this meal, my dude. Mac and cheese is my jam."

Wyatt thought he must have meant it from the way he tore into the meal.

"My name is Ryan, by the way."

Ryan stared at his plate for a moment. He seemed overcome by a great moment of thought. He looked up at and Wyatt and Todd.

"Well, I guess since, we're finally here, we can just be open about it. We're all superheroes here. Do you guys have, like, superhero names?"

Wyatt looked at Todd. I guess there's no reason not to share. Ryan was right. They could finally be open about their secret. Still, it just felt... weird to finally reveal something they'd hidden from everyone for so long.

"Diverman," Todd said.

Ryan's eye's turned to Wyatt.

"...Flyerman," Wyatt said after a moment.

"Dude, that's so cool. Mine is SuperRyan," he said, pointing to the emblem on his shirt.

"So..." Todd started. "You codename is just your name?"

"Well, yeah. My name is Ryan. And I'm pretty super."

Wyatt and Todd looked at each other as if wondering how to proceed.

Wyatt broke the silence.

"But ...doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a codename?" He said tentatively.

"Well, I figure that you should be proud of who you are, y'know. People are always trying to hide what makes them great. And I figure, maybe as I'm fighting crime or whatever, I can be like a symbol to everyone to just be proud of what makes them unique, y'know."

"Yeah," Wyat continued. "But what if puts together that Ryan and SuperRyan are the same person through your costume? Like those two guys look exactly alike and have the same name but one wears a mask?"

"Oh. I don't wear a mask. This is my costume." He pointed down at his t-shirt.

"Y'know, SR. Super Ryan." He explained.

Wyatt blinked.

"So, you're telling me that you just go out and fight crime as yourself?

Ryan nodded. "Yeah, pretty much. Like I said, I have a lot to be proud of. What do I have to hide?"