Hello, It's Me (Inktober Day 9)

Hello, it's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet... When we were younger and free...

————————————————————————

He watched the sun go away as the clouds drove in. Rain began to pour, first light touches before piercing the grounds. The rest of the guys around him ran away when the rain was falling but he stayed there. It was like he needed to be there, like a part of him couldn't let go of the past.

He approached the tombstone and started crying. He started to speak to it, as if the inanimate object was capable of listening.

"Hello, it's me." Clearly he had some connection to the person who now rested here.

"I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet." This person he knew a long time, just as well as himself. Perhaps it was a family member? Friend? And how would they meet? Possibly what he was doing right now. Meeting them after so long. As the rain continued to fall, the man was soaking. His hair fell across his face, water dripping from the ends. He could hear the sloshing in his socks and shoes. But he didn't care.

"When we were younger and free." So they knew each other when they were younger. Children or teenage years. After all, he was in his early 30s.

What people didn't know is that the tombstone and grave was for himself. A reflection of who he once was; now he is a different person, unable to get the life he truly wanted. It was a hello from the other side. He wanted to say sorry for everything he had done, but words didn't hurt his past self anymore. Because there was none. He took the rose from his suit pocket and placed it on the grave where older, dried up bouquets sat. He read his original name one last time just to hear it himself, hoping a missing piece of his olde self would come back.

"Here lies Mayor Damien. Mayor, trusting partner, and friend. 'Life is ours to choose'."