...

A four-year-old boy laughed as he skipped with his brother down the hill where their house stood. His fluffy dark brown hair contrasted his sibling's curly golden-brown locks that fell down his neck. Their personalities were clearly different as well, the younger boy being more joyous and full of action while the older brother being a little more calm and serene. With a smile, the younger boy asked, "Hero! What did you get for mamma?"

Snickering at the nickname, the older male replied, "It's a secret, Markus. But let's wait for dad to get ready."

Markus nodded, clutching his brother's hand tightly. It was their mother's birthday, and they were going to surprise her when she was off for work at the market, selling the crops she grew. They were eager to surprise her with hugs and kisses.

"Boys! Are you ready?"

The two brothers raised their heads at their father's call. They exchanged glances and ran off to their father, yelling a long 'Yes' in unison. The three walked down the hill, heading for the village nearby. Markus was running ahead, the older brother and father watching behind. Hero was talking animatedly about something interesting that had occurred in school. It was getting dark and the older two caught up with Markus, keeping him safe from the mobs that would come out lurking.

"Hey, Hero? What is that glowing orange thing in the village? Looks scary..." Hero raised his head to follow his little brother's gaze. He then gasped and ran ahead.

Their father grunted and scooped up his young son and ran after the other. Markus gave a yelp and huddled close to his father in fear. They met the village...

Which was engulfed in flames.

The father's hazel eyes widened at the village

The father's hazel eyes widened at the village. Hero watched, his hands unconsciously reaching for his father's hand. Markus sunk deeper in his father's arms, "Daddy! What about mamma? Is she okay?"

Hero gritted his teeth hard, staring at the flames lapping at the night sky. Markus looked at his father innocently, "Daddy? Is something bad happening?"

Their father was tearing up already, sniffing. Markus gave a puzzled cock of his head. The three stared at the raging fire take advantage of the tiny village. Their father prayed for his wife to be alright.

Hero and his father stood over the cement tablet, quietly grieving for the loss. Hero looked up at his father, "Dad, the survivors said that the fire was an accident."

He looked away, "Just a home accident... That killed mother on her birthday."

His father remained quiet. Hero watched his father curiously. The observant boy noticed how his father's eyes had grown dull since the fire. He turned when he heard the pattering of tiny feet. Markus had come back from picking flowers. He placed a bundle of lilies on the grave and said, "Mamma! I got you flowers! I hope you like them."

Hero gave a warm smile to his brother. He gently ruffled up his little brother's hair. His father raised his head, "I'll go somewhere and I'll be away for quite a while. Wait for me at the house."

Before Hero could say anything, his father walked away silently, Markus still talking to the grave. Hero stared distantly after his father's retreating back. He grew a little uneasy. He gulped and protectively put a hand over his brother's back. He watched his little brother arrange various pretty flowers neatly around their mother's grave.

 He watched his little brother arrange various pretty flowers neatly around their mother's grave