Chapter 8

Hero shot up.

He did not even look around and just started yelling.

"Markus? Markus!?"

Immediately someone who was sleeping in the bed next to his ran over to wrap arms around Hero. Hero winced as the arms curled around his ribs and he let out a low groan. He looked down at the dark brown locks of his little brother. His pain immediately switched to relief as he gasped out his brother's name and buried his nose in the messy nest of hair.

Markus pulled away at his brother's groan and asked, "H-Hey, uh, Hero..? Do you remember anything?"

Hero reached out to pat his brother's head and looked around the room, taking in the white walls and objects and quickly deducted where he was.

In the village's only hospital.

He slowly answered, "I remember pappa. Then I remember two people fighting and someone slipping over..."

Markus looked absolutely desperate as he shouted, "No! Do you remember who you are?!"

Hero remained silent, watching his little brother breathe rapidly with narrowed eyes. He was extremely worried for some reason. He wiped the sweat off his brother's forehead and muttered, "Well, I am... Your brother?"

Markus rolled his eyes. It was not the answer he had wanted.

"No, Hero, your name! I blacked out and now I can't remember. All I know is 'Hero'."

"I... Don't know either."

"He must take on another completely new identity, my child."

"Do as you must, I just want him to happy in the end."

"He will, I promise."

Markus groaned and buried his face in his brother's blanket, making muffled noises. He raised his head and whispered, "Dad is going to be executed, Hero. Some man found us and the officers said he'll be executed for..."

Hero froze and slowly faced his brother and surprisingly found no sorrow in those orbs.

"Did he really hurt you that much?"

Hero gulped and looked at his arms. Cigarette burns were scattered all over his shoulders while cuts and bruises tainted his arms. "Yes."

"Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"I'm sorry."

Markus just choked on a sob and hugged his brother tight.

Markus pleaded for the hospital to keep Hero longer, and they finally let him stay for another week. Ivan heard the news and fled to the ward, vowing to protect the Persson boys like they were his own. He visited everyday, the hospital even gave him tea and biscuits in the morning.

The Yale family came as well, Mr. And Mrs. Yale were extremely puzzled when Hero took a few minutes to recognize them. A blow to his head made his memories a little fuzzy. Peter showered his body guard with food that he sneaked in and a few books he might be interested in. Dianne collected flowers and sat down with him, teaching him how to make flowercrowns and braid them into hair.