Chapter 11

"The land of the creatures, oh dear Minecraftia. What a bunch of bullshit."

Markus raised his head to stare at Ivan, who was swinging his half empty bottle of beer. The boy gulped at the sight of the older man with alcohol, with what happened back at their village. Dianne poked her head out of the kitchen and noticed Markus' discomfort. She took a mental note to hide the beer somewhere where Ivan wouldn't find as she stalked over, snatching the bottle our of the man's hand.

Ivan snorted and leaned on his hand, muttering slurred curses under his breath. Hero then ran down the stairs and placed a hand on the man's shoulder.

"You have your afternoon shift tomorrow, get some sleep," cooed Hero.

Ivan shook the hand off his shoulder and snapped, "You act like I'm old, how about you fu-"

"Okay! That's the alcohol speaking. It's awfully late so let's get upstairs," Dianne cut him off before the man could even complete the two words with Markus watching.

Dianne ushered him upstairs and groaned in frustration when she came back. Markus went back to making a check list of items they needed. Hero rested his sword on the table and slung an arm around his brother, looking over the checklist.

"Okay, you and Dianne can go collect the berries and apples we need tomorrow. After that, work on the farm... Then craft some swords and torches," he instructed.

Both Dianne and Markus stared at the teenager with wide eyes. The youngest boy shook his brother's arm off and snapped, "Since when were you the boss?"

Dianne nodded her approval. Hero shrugged and said matter-of-factly, "I didn't say I was. Besides, I'll dig up some coal, I'll collect meat and don't forget, Dianne, I have to chase some chickens for your farm. Then I called dibs on the night shift."

Dianne rolled her eyes and dug around the chest of clothes, pulling out some to fold. Markus threw his quill at his brother, engaging in a brotherly wrestle on the carpet.

"Welcome back, fluster-boy."

Hero sighed at Melanie's antics and chucked a rock at her. The mermaid snarled and hit it back with her blue tail, sending the rock to hit the boy.

On the eye.

Hero fell back, holding his right eye. Melanie gasped and crawled onto the rock and over to the boy, stroking the boy's hand to urge him to remove it. He slowly moved his hand aside, frowning when everything far away was blurry to his right eye. There was also a burning pain on his cheek, but he focused more on his sight. "I'm okay. Cover up and get off!"

Melanie chuckled as she slid back underwater, blinking up at her first human friend. She traced patterns on Hero's satchel with a finger, leaving wet trails. She asked, "What's it like on land?"

Hero looked up from writing on his research notebook and laughed bitterly. He scoffed and muttered, "Just as beautifully terrifying as the sea, with zombies, wolves and much more roaming about."

Melanie laughed and nodded her head slowly. "Well, we have sirens, haunted sunken ships and-"

"Mermaids," Hero cut her off.

The mermaid scoffed and lashed her tail, sending water at the young boy. Some drops landed on his beloved research book, and he sighed in exasperation. He wiped it dry with his thumb, Melanie watching his drawing habits carefully. She took note that the boy's tongue stuck out his bottom lip when he's concentrated, and he squints when he's going over his work.

"You're adorable, you know that little boy?"

Hero did not look up from his notebook but he chuckled. He said matter-of-factly, "Don't worry, Mel. I'm reminded everyday back at the cabin."