Chapter 45

Hero dropped off Kaizer with Helena again. He told the spider about his trouble finding the colt a proper home. Helena offered to take care of him, and would be on the lookout for any horses who would be willing to take him in. They would provide protection and food for him. Kaizer was still a little upset about it, not wanting to leave Hero. He had asked why he could not follow Hero.

Hero did not tell him about the Shifter. Anyone who stayed close to him had a high chance of being ripped away. He did not want a repeat of Noah, especially to someone as young as Kaizer.

He promises Kaizer that he would return every once in a while, and sets out again.

Hero had a few interesting months.

He got captured by some scientists and was taken to a facility. It was one branch of many others, yet it was not one where Noah, Helena and Hugo had came from. Hero's murderer reputation built up and caused a hype in the facility. They tested on him, trying to get his DNA. Once they did, Hero escaped, and burnt his DNA and records. He made everyone escape. He met a kid, took him to his old friend, the ender dragon.

Yeah, he ventured into the End realm one day. The ender dragon did not like him.

The ender dragon did not like anyone, so he left with the kid and taught him the basics of surviving in the wild. He warned creatures not to harm the kid, as he was associated with himself. The creatures obeyed, and he let the kid do as he please and left.

Because of all the bullcrap Hero had to go through the past few months, he was exhausted.

He did not expect anything to happen to him when he was sitting on top of a waterfall. His legs dangled over the edge as he watched water drop down below. He was relaxing with multiple elements surrounding him. Earth, the rock and forest he was in. Air, wind blowing against his face sweeping him into bliss. Water, pooling below his dangling feet. He shut his eyes and let out a sigh of relief. It was nice to let his usually tense muscles relax.

His peace was interrupted when a force collided with him from behind, and he was sent to the water down below. He twisted his body easily midair, and he saw gleaming teal eyes before his body crashed into the water. He felt hands frantically scratching down his body. He felt fingers rake down his cheek, but he tried desperately to keep his mouth shut. His eyes burned underwater, but he glared fiercely at the Shifter, who was in the form of a man he did not recognize.

The Shifter let out an eerie grin, and Hero realized that the fucker could breathe underwater too. The teal eyes gleamed as he reached out for Hero's neck. They were still sinking, but Hero kicked as hard as he could, before he forced the current to pull him up. He looked down at the Shifter, who screamed at him while Hero bent the water to pull him deeper. Hero narrowed his eyes mockingly at the bastard then emerged from the water.

He took a great gulp of air, and shook his head to shake the water out of his ears. His limbs ached so he let the current pull him to shore. As soon as he reached the bank, a great splash was heard behind him. Hero swerved around and started to drag himself out of the water when he spotted the Shifter, who was in the form of a male siren. The siren attempted a song, but Hero smirked and flipped him off.

"Doesn't work on me. Try again, shithead."

Hero could not help but tease, even if he was in a near death situation. He was weird like that. The male siren stopped his song, but smirked. Hero watched as he switched form again, and the Swede halted in his escape.

In the siren's place, in the water, was Mr. Yale.

Hero's eyes widened. The Shifter was able to take the form of one of his childhood parental figures. Derrek had said that the Shifter only took forms of his victims, which meant...