Chapter 39

Helena and Hugo refused to leave Hero's side. They even followed him into the old cabin, albeit a little reluctantly. They watched their friend drag a finger along the walls, collecting dust. They carefully prodded at dusty and old objects, and Hugo relaxed into the dirty couch. They finally followed him upstairs, and into Hero's old room.

Hero's breath hitched when everything was still in place. Some of the items had been thrown everywhere in an effort to find him when he ran away, but nothing was stolen. His blue bed still rested against the wall, but when he peered closer, he could see a nest built on his pillow. There were four huddling birds, probably robins, and when Hero crept near, they raised their naked heads with their beaks wide. Chirps filled the air and both Helena and Hugo peered over Hero's shoulder. Hero just cooed at them affectionately, whistling back his own tune. That seemed to silence them.

Hero went back to exploring his old room, and opened the drawers and closets to find his old tiny clothes. Moss had gathered in corners and creepers grew along cracks. At the bottom of his closet, he could see a family of mushrooms gathered in the corner. He pulled his older clothes off the hangers, thumbing the dusty cloth with his fingers. He gave it to Helena, who stared at her leader questionably.

"The pups may need it."

A mental image of the pups snuggling up in their new soft nest made the three smile. Helena took a few of the softer clothes and draped it over her back. Hero was shuffling through his old desk, and pulled out some spare paper tucked away. They were notes of random things, and sometimes the occasional doodle. He spotted a bundle that he had written when he had experienced teen angst™ for the first time so he quickly burnt them in his fingers, embarrassed.

The three walked through Markus' bedroom as well. Hero told stories about him and his little brother, and he let it slip on how much he missed him. Helena gave him a tight hug again, with Hugo squishing the both of them. The took soft clothes and blankets, and then went into Dianne's room. Helena marveled at the dusty yet in good condition dresses. She put them up against her body and twirled, loving the flow and design of most of them. They could fit her small stature, and Hero told her she could keep them. She squeaked like a pup and nearly took half of the closet.

Ivan's room was next and Hero sighed at the alcohol stash in the corner. It was not like his father's, Hero winced, but Ivan loved drinking as well. Most of them were empty, and some were broken. He spotted various smaller spiderwebs, and Helena was speaking to one in the corner. Hero found a stash of weapons and kept it for himself. Most of Ivan's clothes were donated to the pups of the clan, but Hero kept a few for himself. Hugo had wanted some of the furniture to add into his little underground den.

They visited Noah's grave again. Helena and Hugo were sharing a rabbit they hunted. Hero was just sitting close to the rose and lilacs, his fingers tracing patterns onto the soil. He had politely refused the offer of rabbit, and was thinking hard. He had Ivan's old cloak, now clean with the help of charms, around his back, and he had an idea.

He raised his head, "You two should head back, it's almost sunrise again."

The two looked over the cliff and saw the night sky beginning to turn purple with the sun arriving. They stared at the crashing waves of the ocean before looking back at Hero. Hugo spoke with concern laced in his voice, "You're coming... Right?"

Hero tugged the cloak closer around him. He shook his head and said, "I have some unfinished business. I'm going to the village nearby."

The hybrids both hissed in refusal. Hugo, even though he was more in tune with his human side than creeper, hissed, "Aren't they after you? You'll get caught and killed!"