Chapter 20

Markus was worried.

It had been hours. It was way past midnight, and the sun was due to rise soon. He stood by Darryl's side, who finally took a break. It was quiet as they gazed at the tiny castle expectantly. "They are strong, they will return," muttered Darryl.

They heard gunshots. Markus was forced to stay put by Darryl, because they were given instructions to never get the assassination group, despite what they might hear or see. Only after Hero left, Markus realized that his last family member could be lost forever. When it sunk it, he protested, kicked and screamed at Darryl.

When he calmed down, he winced at his behavior. He couldn't possibly lead the country if he acted like that. Darryl understood though, and Markus was still upset and terrified for his older brother's life. They both couldn't handle the feeling that their strongest could be dead by then.

Until the castle doors swung open with a  loud bang. Resting and sleeping crows on nearby trees flew away in fright. Everyone, fighter or civilian, peeked out of their hiding place to see who stood there. Markus didn't even feel the curl of his lips as he saw someone he cared for so deeply standing there, alive and well.

But then he took in his state, hunched over and his back rising as he panted. Even from afar, Markus could see his mangled fingers, and winced. In his brother's other blood stained hand, were locks of black hair. He trailed his gaze down and bit his lip at the still and bloody man who wore a Russian uniform stained a crimson red. Blood was dripping down from Hero's fingers, and his cloak and clothes were disheveled.

Whispers were heard, most of 'where are the others?' and 'is that the Russian general?'. Hero just raised his head, and Markus saw that one of his eyes were narrowed as he squinted at the moon who was near setting in the sky. His chest was falling in broken and heavy pants, and Hero dropped the dead body. The loud sound of skin colliding with stone resounding across the silent clearing. Hero dug around in his pockets, before pulling out a bloody dagger.

Everyone watched his careful and gentle fingers raised the blade to the sky. Hero's eyes shut rather tightly as he gave one rare smile. Slowly, shouts of happiness and victory rose in the silence, and Markus could feel his eyes getting a little wet. His voice joined the others, and he pumped his fist in the air, with Darryl joining shortly.

Everyone raised their voice to battle the silence, some even putting on a show and hugging their nearest friend. Darryl noticed Hero staggering and trembling so he ceased his cheering to rush over. Markus followed suit, catching his brother before he fell to the ground. Darryl slowly lifted the small young man onto his back before racing to his tent. The cheering ended, and a few people entered the castle to clean up their mess.

Minecraftia got rid of the weight on her shoulders. It's up to her people to help her on her feet now.

Markus entered the tent, a bowl of porridge balanced on his palm. "How are you feeling, Hero?"

The blankets on the bed shifted around before a messy mop of golden hair popped out. It turned with a groan and Markus smiled warmly at his tired brother. The man only returned it with a sneer as he hid under the covers again. "Go fuck yourself."

Markus pulled out a spare chair and sat down next to his brother. He set down the porridge on the table before patting his brother's sides. The blankets pulled back again, but Hero stared blankly at the ceiling. He grunted as he tried to sit up, and inspected his fingers. Darryl made these makeshift casts for his broken and mangled fingers. There were basically sticks to hold them still and some bandage to hold it together.

Darryl made some potion and dampened the bandages with it to hurry the recovery up. Hero's dominant hand was injured, but his right (non-dominant) hand has had a bit of practice, so he thinks it won't be much of a hassle. He raised his head to look at his brother, who was staring blankly out of the window. Hero took his right hand and set it on his brother's knee.