Chapter 29

You may start the song.

Darryl tore his eyes away from Hero to look up at Markus. He declared, "I've got vital information about the massacre."

The guards stiffened by the entrance, as Hero fought his reaction and Markus went serious. Markus absently handed Hero the business proposals back as he muttered to him, "Go and make yourself busy or something."

Hero gulped as he muttered 'Yes, your highness'. He squeezed the proposals tightly in his hands as he stepped back, making eye contact with Darryl as a guard escorted the other two to a private room for discussion. He stared at the retreating backs of his brother and ex-friend. Just then, Derrek decided to take over, his frown turning into a wicked smirk. The guards by the entrance quickly averted their eyes as Hero strode down the hall, eyes narrowed and a playful skip in his step.

Finally stuck in his mind, Hero took this opportunity to scream.

How?! I thought he died.

Well, he didn't, little hero. Sucks to be you.

You planned this.

Hero snarled at the inquisitive hum. His fury were making paintings and walls shake as he stormed down the hall.

How did you do it?

Blood replenishing potion, remember. You told me yourself.

Oh god.

Hero couldn't bring himself to think about it.

Why did I do to deserve this? What did you do to me? Of all people, why me?

He went silent at the slight chuckle in his voice. The chuckle echoed in the abandoned hallway, Hero-Derrek slowing down to stroll. Derrek removed his military jacket, lazily thing around his waist as he suddenly stopped. He spoke, decided to torment Hero with absurd words in his own voice.

"I've had urges, my puppet. Everyone has that little sadistic side in them, lurking. I just decided to act upon it, therefore triggering yours."

He dug his hands into his pockets, whistling as he walked. Hero realized that he made the proposals disappear into thin air. He was startled when Derrek started again, "I needed someone with authority. Someone who a reputation, someone who is perceived strong... But unfortunately isn't. You're perfect, doll."

Hero was about to argue back when Derrek stopped, turning to a clock. It was quite early in the afternoon, and Hero watched as Derrek pulled out his sword. Hero felt himself inwardly wincing. Derrek laughed hysterically in Hero's voice, breaking into a run towards a window at the end of the hallway.

Hero shut his eyes as Derrek launched him out the window foot-first, kicking down the glass with a powerful kick. Glass shattered in a thunderous clatter, as Hero drifted onto the ground slowly, boots digging into sharp glass shards. Sword in hand, a malicious smile on his face, Hero scaled the wall and ran to the village, ready to wreck the town and show everyone who he really was.