Chapter 25

Hero was fully equipped with multiple weapons. The forest was quite dangerous, even in broad daylight. Hero had his regular sword in his sheath, a bow and a rifle slung on his back, with multiple hidden knives and bullets hidden somewhere in his uniform. He gave Markus a pistol and the two unlocked the gate in the gardens, walking out of the man-made garden and entered the more dangerous and dense forest. It took a while to notice Markus clutching a satchel. He gave Markus a look but the younger male did not entertain him.

"One of the guards said there was a waterfall around here somewhere. We are quite close to the shore, right?"

Hero snapped his head from his surroundings to his brother. "The shore is about half an hour away. There is a waterfall nearby, but it is a small one."

Markus grinned, "Great. I have wanted to take a dip in the water for a while. Missed it."

Hero hummed, looking back at the trail as he led his brother towards the waterfall. He felt Markus snake his hands around Hero's neck, and felt him tremble a bit. "It's awfully chilly in the morning."

Hero cocked his head before replying, "Fall is arriving. Not gonna be good. The livestock and crops rate is quite low this summer and spring."

While talking, Hero snapped his fingers lightly, and Markus' trembling stopped. His brother let out a relieved sigh as he removed himself from Hero. The strong autumn winds did not come back for a while. They two walked silently for a while, Markus sneaking glances at his brother. Hero looked tired. Extremely tired. And he's so thin.

"So, have you-"

Hero somehow heard the thoughts swirling in Markus' head and he immediately cut him off, "There it is."

Markus followed his pointing finger before grinning and setting down his satchel. He removed his cloak and crown before running forward, taking his shirt and boots off. He launched himself forward with a excited yell and dived into the water. Hero just stared with wide pale blue eyes. He shook his head and picked up Markus' abandoned stuff, before making his way over to watch Markus. Hero peered in the satchel, finding extra clothes. Hero sighed, no way in hell was he going to join his brother.

•••••Hero's Perspective••••

He looks rather happy. Who am I kidding, really? A teenager pushed into a king's position, of course he would be craving fun and relaxation from paperwork.

Unfortunately I'm no longer an adolescent. Pity. It all happened so fast, really. Being a teenager and training under the rebellion was, what? Seven years ago? And now I'm here, supervising a child while I'm dealing with... Magic and all that voodoo shit.

I hate this.

While Hero was zoned out, Markus starting to quietly paddle his way to his brother, planning on a splash attack followed by pulling Hero in. Before he could launch water at his daydreaming brother though, he felt something slimy and cold twirl around his ankle. Before it pulled down, hard.

He sputtered and gasped as he was tugged underwater. He thrashed frantically, trying to kick and fight back, trying to reach and alert his brother. He was watching, wasn't he? Why wasn't he there? Markus turned around to try and identify his killer, but saw nothing. His leg was still frozen in place as he sank deeper, and the slimy pressure built up, his ankles aching from whatever was pulling him down.

Markus unfortunately couldn't hold in his breath much longer as he gasped out. Water immediately filled into his mouth, his throat and the uncomfortable burning was itching badly at his Adam's apple. His hands went to his throat as he tried to let out a sound, but the water silenced him. The cold water seemed to burn his eyes as he could no longer see the forest, being tugged to far down to see the canopy of leaves hanging over the lake.