Chapter 18 [REPUBLISHED]

The remaining time went by too fast. Hero completed his magic training with Darryl, and the wizard had given him an assessment duel. Hero had won nine out of ten duels. He lost the last one as he grew a little tired and worn out. Darryl watched as the power core grew with each piece of knowledge he fed it, and marveled at the most biggest and brightest core he has ever seen.

Hero was standing next to Kaleb by the entrance ladder leading to the Guard Post tower. A group of chosen trained males stood behind them, awaiting the signal. Hero was leaning against Kaleb's huge form, checking his sword and rifle. He had spare daggers and ammo in his satchel, and Kaleb laughed at how ready he was.

Everyone raised their heads and weapons in surprise as the trapdoor above them leading to the guard post tower shook and made a noise. Everyone heard the unfamiliar Russian words through the trapdoor, and Hero barely could translate it, the man had such a thick accent.

He whispered, everyone turning their attention to him, "We'll take it from here. Get some rest."

Kaleb raised an eyebrow and Hero muttered, "That's what he said. I think Avian has finished his shift. Shall we go?"

Kaleb shook his head. Hero just obeyed, listening to the sound of footsteps disappear as the unknown soldier walked up the steps to get to the guard post. Once complete silence was maintained, Kaleb tapped his fingers on Hero's back, and the shorter teen straightened up. Kaleb nodded his head to the group behind them and the rest stood up as well. Kaleb climbed up the ladder and slowly opened the trapdoor, crawling to the open.

Hero followed after. Their plan was to take out the three Russian soldiers on guard duty silently, then lead the group to the next guard tower. After all four towers were safe, more groups will come up and slowly make their way to the the heart of the village, taking out every Russian and claiming the village. The villagers were notified, so they stayed in their houses, away from the attack.

Kaleb was waiting for him and he pointed outside. Hero nodded and stayed behind the door, while Kaleb made his way silently upstairs to get the two guards on watch. Hero strained to hear footsteps near the door until it was thrown open. He scowled and grabbed the door before it hit him in the face and saw the guard wiping his boots on the mat on top of the trapdoor, grumbling in his native language.

Hero slid out his dagger and grabbed the man by the neck with his arm, bringing him down closer to him. Before the man could yell in surprise, he quickly sliced his neck and slowly laid him on the floor, not letting only mud but blood stain the floor. He heard groans and shuffling from upstairs. He ran up the steps, skipping a few steps. He was greeted with the sight of Kaleb being choked by a Russian. There was another guard but he was on the floor, dagger in neck, still.

Hero snarled as he threw himself at the soldier and repeatedly slammed his dagger onto his chest as the man gasped and wheezed under him.

"That's enough."

Hero stilled and relaxed his shoulders, sitting on the dead guard. He flicked his arm, blood splattering on the floor. He got to his feet and followed Kaleb downstairs. Kaleb motioned for the groups waiting underground to come up as Hero kept watch outside. The group slowly climbed to the guard post and followed Hero and Kaleb to the next guard posts.

Any villager who ran into them smiled and retreated to their homes. Slowly, one by one, they took out the guards in all four guard towers. Different groups were gathered in each towers, and when the signal was given, all of them would start going into the village together.

Hero was leading a group through an alley and he stilled when he heard people speaking in Russian. He gestured for his group to hide behind the crates in the alley as he leaned against the wall and peeked over to look. Three guards were speaking to each other and Hero struggled to listen. They were talking about how they haven't seen their friends return from their shifts in a while.