Chapter 4

Every day after dinner, students take a short break, and then continue with night training, which is lighter in intensity than day training. Sometimes it is to organize the groups that will do the cleaning, and others, to form the teams that will do night watch.

In the evening, while chatting with them, I received a call from my mother.

In this remote suburb, there is no nightly entertainment of any kind, so my only hobby is making calls with family and friends. There were times when my mother's calls were even more frequent than Mu Chenghe's own.

 There were times when my mother's calls were even more frequent than Mu Chenghe's own

"Mom," I said, "aren't you on duty?"

"It was originally like that. But who would say that your uncle Chen would come to visit me, the journey is very long and tiring, so I changed my shift with someone else."

"Oh." This time, I know who she's talking about.

"Look, I know I said I wouldn't bring it up in front of you ..."

"Mom, when are you planning to get married?"

"Hey?" She was surprised.

"Didn't you say you wanted to get married last year? It's been a while, why didn't you mention it again?"

"We ... you ..." It was obvious that my attitude took her by surprise.

"Just because I didn't agree before doesn't mean I don't agree now. As long as I treat you well and you're happy," I said lightly.

When I asked Mu Chenghe about his mother's new marriage, he replied, "At first I felt rejection, but when I grew up and thought about it again. I realized that I was being too selfish."

"Don't you care anymore?"

"I would be lying if I said that I no longer care. But we have no right to trample on the happiness of others in the name of our own pleasure."

"Xue Tong, thank you," she said with satisfaction.

"Mom, you and Dad started arguing from the time they kidnapped me at the amusement park, right? You blamed him and he blamed you."

"Where do you get that from?"

"I always thought it was because of me."

"No, no. We just couldn't get along, you never had anything to do with it."

"Dad was having an affair?"

"Why are you asking that?"

"That time, when we were in front of Daddy's grave, you wanted to say something, but you were so angry that you didn't finish speaking, so I ended up guessing."

"Tong Tong──"

I don't know why my mother called me in that way so suddenly, but I felt like I was going back to my childhood. That time when they hadn't changed my name to Xue Tong yet. Everybody used to call me Tongtong, Tongtong. Because my mother's last name is Tong. But the grandmother said, how can a woman put her last name on a descendant of this family? Then they changed a word.