Chapter 54 - The Battle for the right to live

I had found a spot on the wall, alongside Sansa and Arya

I had found a spot on the wall, alongside Sansa and Arya. They were both looking out over the fields surrounding Winterfell. Sansa would retreat before long to the crypt with the other women and children. She had argued with Arya and I, but had decided to drop the subject.

Arya and I was both planning to stay and fight. We had barely exchanged any words since I returned to Winterfell. Arya was not the same. She had been through a lot since we parted. The bits and pieces I could stick together had made me understand she had traveled to Braavos as she said she wanted to.

What happened there, I didn't know. But what I did know, was that she had turned into a strong warrior, her skills almost surpassing even Brienne's. I had seen them fight in the courtyard, Arya moved, using her petite frame to her advantage, while fighting against Brienne. Their exchange had taught me a lot.

Sansa suddenly released a small gasp and I instantly grabbed her hand and held it tightly secured in mine. Sansa looked at our joined hands before back up at my face. She had clearly not expected my action but she didn't push me away, and the tight squeeze she gave my hand afterwards was quite reassuring to me.

I inhaled deeply as the Dothraki, led by Ser Jorah Mormont began finding their places outside the walls. The horde was standing like a wall, protecting Winterfell. Behind the ranks of Dothraki, was the ranks of unsullied. They were all waiting for what were about to come. The moment stretched out forever as we stood there watching the scene unfold.

Everyone was quick to grab their weapons and find their position when the dark grew thicker and became harder to see through. The cold winds rising soon engulfed us all. I took a deep breath and turned to Sansa, she understood the gesture and released my hand when I met Arya's gaze before we all turned back to look out over the fields.

The shroud of anticipation and fear grew thicker as everyone tried to ready themselves for what were about to happen. Then the loud roar of two dragons overhead pierced the silence. It made me release a loud gasp and drop a few inches as I looked up at them. I had not gotten used to them at all. They were just as majestic as the fist time I had seen them.

When I returned to look out over the wall, I could see everyone standing still, except one tall figure who moved through the crowd, pushing people away. I smiled when realized it was Sandor. He had shifted the axe, he had commissioned Gendry to make to him, to his other hand. It was nothing like any of the other weapons that had been made, and therefore quite distinguishable.

Then a lone rider emerged from the dark shroud just beyond the light rays of the torches. It was the red woman. She approached Ser Jorah Mormont just as the distant snarls of the dead reached us all. My chest tightened and I placed my hands on the wall as Ser Jorah ordered something on the Dothraki language, and they all raised their blades.

The red woman approached the nearest Dothraki rider and placed a hand on his blade. The faint indistinguishable words of high valerian reached me as she mumbled something, repeating the same phrase a few times, an octave higher each time until flames sprung forth on the blades of every Dothraki soldier. The shroud lifted a few inches as the Dothraki cheered loudly. A smile found its way to my lips as my fingers buried themselves in the snow.