Chapter 58 - What comes next

I woke up in the early morning hours to an empty bed

I woke up in the early morning hours to an empty bed. It wasn't unexpected but still it brought me a little sadness. Sandor had become excruciatingly quiet around even me. He kept to himself and avoided contact with most people.

A heavy sigh left me when I stretched a hand out to where Sandor had been lying. It was still warm which meant it wasn't long ago he had left. I decided to go find him for one. I had been busy helping where I could. There was still much to do after the war.

I pushed myself up into a sitting position before scooting of the bed. I shivered once my bare feet touched the ground and didn't hesitate getting some more clothes on, even some shoes. The robe I swung around my shoulders were similar to a dress and was secured in the front. It was a rather low neckline but I didn't care.

I slipped out of my room and into the hallway. For a second I hesitated and had to think where Sandor might go but it didn't take me long to guess-he had gone somewhere quiet.

The library.

A wide smile found my lips before I began heading that way. The warmth of the room hit me instantly when I pushed the door up. I peaked inside and looked around. Sandor was once again seated in one of the windowsills, slouched over with his elbows resting against his knees. His head was hidden in his hands and it wasn't until I stepped onto the wooden floor planks that he shifted.

I noticed the small jolt from him as he quickly raised up into a sitting position, our gazes met and for a moment I was certain they showed annoyance but when he noticed it was just me, they softened and he released a low groan. It made me smile and continue to close the distance between us.

I placed myself in between his legs once again, however, unlike the other times, he wasn't apprehensive about it and arms soon wrapped around my waist as mine wrapped around his neck. Sandor took a deep breath and extended his injured leg out.

It took a moment but when he shifted in my arms I was quick to release him again. But before I could take my arms back completely a hand had grabbed the lower part of my arm and squeezed gently. Sandor had grabbed my arm and was now guiding my hand to his cheek again. There it rested before being guided down to his lips. A small kiss was placed on the palm of my hand before he reached the other hand up and placed it on the back of my neck.

I was guided forwards and he placed his forehead on mine. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. This was no longer a rare moment of affection he showed me, maybe he had finally accepted me. "Sandor-is something wrong?" I asked and raised my head but he wouldn't let me move it more than a few inches back.

"Nothing's wrong-" He almost sneered at me but trailed off when he saw my crossed expression. Sandor turned his head away and removed his hands from me but I was quick to cup his cheeks instead, forcing him to look at me again. "Please, tell me if I can do anything." I whispered before placing a gentle kiss on his lips.