14

Michael

I knocked on the address Poppy had sent me, smiling at the man who opened the door. He welcomed me inside and I locked my car, wiping my shoes on the mat.

"They're in the middle of an intense game of FIFA. Coffee?"

"I'd love one, thanks. I'm Michael,"

"Paul. Poppy has been an absolute pleasure. I must say that somehow the volume has ramped up even more,"

"Really?"

"Mhm. I'm sure I cannot complain though, I heard you have 8 kids,"

"That would be correct," I smiled, taking the mug of coffee, "However four teenage boys definitely challenge them on volume. Poppy's usually quiet,"

"She clearly loves her football. So, you're a doctor?"

"Yep. A&E,"

"I'm a police officer,"

"I've probably seen you driving round then,"

"Yeah, going to stop two birds fighting," he laughed, "I'm kidding, I just mean that thankfully nothing too bad happens round here,"

"Yeah. Well... yeah,"

He called everyone up from the basement and I watched as two identical boys came up, annoyance etched onto their faces when they saw me.

"Poppy has to go?"

"She does, but I expect she will be back rather soon,"

Poppy came up next with the help of a tall boy. He looked a lot like Paul, and the brown curly hair was probably what Paul used to have. Behind them was another boy- I had to say that they all looked very tidy and seemed well mannered.

"Dad,"

"Yeah?"

"This is Alfie, and Maaz, and Elliot, and Kalani. My dad is called Michael,"

Alfie held his hand out and I shook it, then took Poppy's things from him and she took her crutches.

"Michael, can Poppy come round on Saturday? We are having a barbecue," Kalani said, "Us and our parents,"

"Maybe, but we will have to see what else is on the calendar. Poppy can let you know,"

"I can always give her a ride," Paul smiled, "It was nice having you round,"

She gave him a tight hug which surprised us all a bit, then I thanked him and we went outside to the car.

I put her things in the back and then we sat down, but the tears began before I even started it car.

"It was him,"

"What?"

"It was him who found my location to be rescued,"

"What?"

"He made it so I found you and mum,"

"Well isn't it absolutely amazing that you can have him in your life still," I said, reaching across to hug her, "We can thank him when you're ready to share that part of yourself,"

"I'm so grateful,"

"Me too. Did you have a good day then?"

She nodded and I kissed her head, comforting her as she cried more. It was funny how the world aligned sometimes.

"Maybe we could get him a card and some nice chocolates. He probably didn't get to find out what had happened because you were moved so swiftly and under the radar,"