20

Michael

Now it was summer there was a sudden influx in patients, and work had been hell. I hadn't even got a proper break by the time it was my last patient of the day.

I downed some of Ashton's coffee and then headed to the ER, calling for my patient Evelyn. A small, frail old woman stood and I gave her a smile, leading her down to an exam room.

"It's nice to meet you Evelyn, I am Dr Clifford. Take a seat. What's brought you in today?"

She raised her hand to reveal a nasty scald, so I got some gloves on and rolled over, gently taking a look.

"How did you do this?"

She looked at me with wide eyes and I looked back with my tired ones.

"I don't bite. Promise,"

"I don't know,"

"Okay. Let's get this cleaned up for you. Do you live with anyone? Or is there anyone to call,"

"Who are you?"

"Dr Clifford,"

"My hand,"

"I'm gonna get that cleaned up for you,"

I looked at the wristband she had and searched her name, finding the contact of her son. I gave him a call and he said he would come in which was a relief.

Tenderly I began to clean her hand, being patient with her when she got a little flustered. The receptionist ended up bringing her son to the room as I wrapped her bandage up, and he was apologising profusely.

"She's all sorted. Does she live with you?"

"No, she lives alone. I visit everyday,"

I twisted my lips together and took my gloves off, nodding.

"I don't think that will be enough anymore, I think she might need some more support. Let me get in contact with her doctor and arrange an appointment,"

He sighed and wrapped his arms round her, gently humming a song to her as I sent an email to her doctor. It was too late to be seen but hopefully they would be contacted soon.

"Is it okay if i admit her?"

"Yeah," he said, tearing up, "I'm sorry,"

"You don't need to apologise. It can be tough to see a family member have problems with their memory, but it's protocol to admit them until we can get it figured out,"

I paged a team to get her admit and left them once it was all sorted, swiftly leaving before anyone else caught me on the way out.

On the way home I got some flowers and a card, then went inside to greet my kids. Bailey and Crystal were cooking in the kitchen, and Nathan was with Lauren in the pool.

Payton ran up to me and hugged my legs, then Cameron showed me his artwork.

Jasper almost bumped into me when he came back inside for work, then gave me a hug and headed straight for Lauren. He had booked another therapy session and I was really proud.

"Poppy! Are you ready darling?"

"Hang on,"

Crystal poked her head out the kitchen and smiled, shuffling over to give me a hug. She nuzzled into my neck as I waited for Poppy, then kissed me and fixed my hair.

"You look hot,"

"I am, I need to get in that pool,"

"Not temperate your dufus,"