38

Michael

"Dad, I have a problem,"

"What is that?" I asked, putting Cameron on my knee; he was starting to get quite tall now, but I didn't care.

"I think I have been too bad for presents,"

"Why do you think that?"

"Well my grades were bad and I sometimes shout at Lauren because she doesn't share,"

"The shouting we can work on, but your report said you tried very hard at school! Mum and I saw that too,"

"I just really want presents like everyone else,"

"You have made us so proud this year buddy. Everyone is getting presents. I know all your friends probably talk about being naughty or nice, but mum and I would never, ever stop you getting things you need just for mistakes. I know Christmas is gifts, but if you ever need anything then mum and I will always help," I said, gently running my fingers through his hair.

"Okay,"

"I love you,"

"I love you too,"

"Do you have any friends you want to see before Christmas? It's coming so fast!"

"No thank you. I don't really have friends,"

"I thought you liked to play with some of the boys in your class,"

"I wore a dress,"

"Well that shouldn't matter. They're much comfier,"

"You have worn a dress?" he asked.

"Well, your uncle Cal, before he lived his life working and basically sleeping in the hospital, used to wear skirts, and of course I had to try them on,"

"I just like them,"

"I know, and you look good in them! You can wear whatever you want, that doesn't change who you are,"

"I'm still a boy,"

"Yeah, I know bud,"

"I really love you,"

I kissed his head and cuddled him, opening my arms to Bailey who shuffled along to join; she was always cuddling.

With his anxiety now eased, Cameron went off to get into bed, but Bailey wasn't letting go of the hug.

"You okay?"

"Yeah,"

"It's good that Lauren is being adopted, isn't it?"

"Yeah. I feel like all of our names don't go with Clifford though,"

"You chose it," I teased, "It's nice to all share the last name though, even if you don't think it goes,"

"Yeah... how come it's not mum's maiden name?"

"She wanted to change to Clifford. If she hadn't, then that would have been okay as well,"

"I think I'd keep Clifford, even though it is a bit of a mouthful. It's very special to me,"

"You're feeling sentimental huh?"

"Poppy being in hospital is reminding me of last time, and how easy it is for us all to be split apart,"

"We aren't gonna be split apart,"

She nodded and let go, bouncing her leg up and down.

"Why don't you go and spend some time with Nathan?"