24

Michael

"Michaelllllll,"

"Calummmm,"

"Can I come over tomorrow?"

"Please do. Lauren has surgery and I'm taking Poppy to therapy,"

"Oh shit, yeah. How is Payton feeling?"

"Still poorly, bless her. Hopefully she gets better soon,"

"When is your holiday?"

"Oh... that's cancelled,"

"That's a shame, you guys really love that. How come?"

"Poppy is having another surgery,"

"You've gotta keep me in the loop man. If you need anything give me a shout. Give me and the guys a date and we will make something happen so that you and Crystal can stay with Poppy and the other kids can be preoccupied,"

"You don't have to, and that's unfair on Poppy,"

"What is unfair to Poppy is not having her parents by her side after surgery like last time,"

I nodded and he pat my back, picking up my bag for me. I put it on and then took my waterbottle and had a drink, Cal taking a sip after me.

"What would you say if I increased my budget on Christmas this year for the kids?"

"I would say you're insane because even spending 10 dollars on them all adds up to 80 dollars,"

"But Crystal told me she'd send their lists to me," he pouted.

"Please don't spend loads on them Cal, I am serious,"

"I'm serious too,"

"Wait up!"

Luke jogged up to us and slung his arms round us, making us pick up the pace of our walking.

"You guys smell,"

"We have been running around all day. Literally," I yawned, "I am exhausted, and all my kids are gonna wanna tell me about their day and I just wanna sleep,"

"Maybe they'll all ignore you since you're so mean,"

"Look, I love them, but I am exhausted. Am I getting old?"

"Nah. Almost, but not yet,"

We entered the car park and Luke left us because Sierra was waiting on him, then Cal and I went to our cars.

Once inside, I called mum.

"Hey darling!"

"Hey mum, do I need to pick up the kids?"

"I can drop them off later,"

"Are you sure? I am just leaving work,"

"It's okay, they want to have tea here,"

"What are you having?"

"Homemade pie,"

"Is there enough for me?"

"There's always enough for you,"

"Let me call Crystal. Love you,"

"I love you too,"

Immediately, I called Crystal, drumming my fingers on the driving wheel at a red light.

"Hello?"

"Hey, how is it going?"

"The boys got back from work and Nath is feeling pretty shit. Poppy's friends just left but Alfie is gonna stay for tea. Bailey got back too and has her head in a book somewhere,"