29

Poppy

"Was that my last scan?"

"That was your last scan. Well done,"

"Can we slow down?"

I was on my crutches walking beside Dr George after doing a bunch more scans for him. Mum and dad had gone to dad's office, and Vicky had escorted me to the scans, but now Dr George was taking me back.

"Of course, I want to talk to you anyway. Obviously this surgery is on both legs, and it's going to keep you in hospital for a few days at least. What can I do to make sure you don't feel so stressed?"

"I don't know,"

"Is there anything in particular that stresses you out?"

"I don't want to answer loads of questions and have information taken about me,"

"Why is that? If you're comfortable telling me. I realise that is another question,"

"Because information about me always got passed round, even to mum and dad. Everyone knows all these things about me and I don't like it and it's not safe. And in hospital all that matters is the numbers attached to me and I don't- I don't feel like a person anymore,"

"Learning about you as a person is very important to me! And yes, numbers in hospital are also very important, but you are Poppy, and we see you as Poppy because we want you to feel better,"

"All of this gives me bad memories. I am sorry,"

"It's okay, feeling fear and sadness is really common and you are allowed to feel that way. Honestly though, most of your time here will be sleeping, eating, and a bit of physio therapy,"

"You promise my information is not shared with people who don't need it?"

"I promise. I do want to pre-warn you that on the day of your surgery they will potentially take your blood pressure, height, weight, a blood sample, and make you do a pregnancy test,"

"Can you do it?"

"I will be preparing for surgery! But marie and Vicky will take good care of you,"

"No,"

I stopped and shook my head, instantly tearing up again.

"You have to,"

"I will try and get down in time to do that again. However, your nurses will also keep it all confidential. You don't need to worry, you're growing just fine, promise. You know, I think having this surgery will improve your confidence,"

"Maybe. I feel like you understand me a bit,"

"Well that's good,"

"I don't understand you. Bones are boring,"

"What do you find interesting?"

"Football and books. My friend Alfie liked football too, we fell asleep talking about it last night. Well, I don't know if we are still friends or if we like each other,"

"Oh really?"

We got back to my room and went inside, getting me back on the bed. Mum and dad would probably come back down so that we cos go, but Dr George kept me company. I liked him.

"And he held my hand, and I have cuddled him. And he called me cute... I think he is really pretty,"

"Maybe he can come and visit after surgery, it might make you feel better,"

"Yeah, it might. Do you think he wants to be dating me?"

"I am not as young as I look, Poppy,' he laughed, "I'm out of the loop,"