Rumors

Flora's POV

I'm sitting by the big table. Gilbert is by my side and everyone has calmed down from dancing. I don't have more energy for that. I don't have more energy for anything if I'm being honest.

I take a sip of the water Gilbert had gotten me and put it down on the table.

"Better?" He asks me.

"Much." I answer. I feel Gilbert's eyes on me and I know he wants to say something, but something is holding him back. "Just spit it out, Blythe. What is it?"

He sighs and shifts in his seat. "Have you... told anyone else?"

"No. Just you. And if you hadn't suspected it, I wouldn't have told anyone at all."

"You have to tell someone."

"That's my decision."

"It is. That's why I'm only giving you my opinion." He tells me.

"Well, keep your opinion to yourself." I say harshly. "Telling others will only give me attention. I don't need attention. I don't want attention."

"This isn't about attention, Flora. It's about your safety."

"Why?"

"What do you mean 'why'?"

"I mean why do you care so much?"

This seems to bring his lips shut. He speaks no more. But now I really want him to answer the question. Why does he care so much?

My thoughts get cut off as I feel myself get dragged from Gilbert, up the stairs and into the room Diana and I share. I look at Diana in disbelief.

"Diana, what are you doing?" I ask her as she closes the door.

"What did you and Gilbert do?" She askes me. Her facial expression is really panicked and I am lost in confusion.

"Huh?"

"What happened with you and Gilbert when you two were gone?"

"I don't understand. Nothing happened."

"Then tell me, what is that love mark on your neck?!"

"What?!?!" I run towards the window and push my hair behind my back so I can see whatever she is talking about. She's right. On the left side of my neck is a purple-ish love bite. She thinks it's from Blythe, but it's not. That's from Mr. Phillips.

"Now that you see what I see, tell me what happened between you and Gilbert." She locks the door to the room so no one can come in.

"Nothing happened."

"Everyone is convinced that something is happening between you and Gilbert." She says.

"Wait... everyone?"

"Rachel was the one who saw you two walking away together, when you came back she saw the mark on your neck."

Of course it was Rachel. Who else?

"And now there are rumors going around saying that you two were snogging." She explains. I listen but my mind still feels the urge to punch Rachel Lynde right where it hurts the most. What a mouth that woman has. Without thinking I walk to the door, unlock it and walk out. The main room quiets down. All eyes on me. Well, that's just great. Attention. That's exactly what I needed. I  begin walking down the stairs and I spot Rachel sitting with a few women. Marilla, Mrs. Barry and Mrs. Gillis. I do not hesitate to give Rachel a dirty look. She deserves every bit of it. Ruby is in a corner crying on Josie Pye's shoulder.

Gilbert is sat down with Billy and Moody. Anne is with Cole, and Mr. Barry is with Matthew. But somehow everyone seems to have their eyes on me. Wow. Rumors do travel fast. I make sure to fix my hair, putting it in front of the love mark.

Gilbert's POV.

I look up to see Flora on the staircase. She just stands there looking over the crowd. She begins descending the stairs and I catch her giving Rachel a stare. Everyone's looking at Flora and they don't let anything else take their focus away from her. Did something happen?

"Why's everyone looking at the orphan?" I hear Moody say. The fact that Florence is still known as 'the orphan' disturbs me.

"I- I don't know." I say. I feel a tug on my shouler and I look back.

"Did you really kiss Florence?" A crying Ruby asks me. Josie Pye is behind her, rubbing Ruby's back.

"Excuse me?"

"I had dibs." She wheeps even more.

"You had dibs? What are you talking about, Ruby?"

"Leave it, Ruby." Says Josie. "He's a boy. He won't undertstand."

And the two girls leave me confused, walking away.

Flora's POV.

Mrs. Barry stomps over the room. She walks toward me like all she wants to do is strangle me.

"What is this madness I'm hearing, Flora?!"

"It's not true." I tell her.

"It's not true?! IT'S NOT TRUE?!" She yells over the room so everyone can hear. "The proof I needed is right in front of me." She shouts as she points to the mark on my neck.

"You don't understand!"

"SILENCE!" She takes me by my arm harshly. "That's it. We're going home. Diana, let's go!" She drags me over the floor, walking quickly towards the door. She forgets about luggage. She doesn't care anymore. "I've taken you into my house as if you were my true daughter, but you don't bother to put respect on the Barrys name." She walks to the stables and tells a man to prepare a carriage.

"We're just friends, Gilbert and I." I'm not lying, but I don't want to tell the entire truth. "He was just trying to help me."

"Help you?! With what? Was he trying to help you take your clothes off?!?!"

"I beg your pardon?" I pull my arm out of her grasp. "You may not believe what I'm saying, but I don't tolerate disrespect!" I start walking away from her. I don't know what the point of walking away is, since I have no where to go, but if it's far away from her, then I'll do whatever to get there.

"Don't you DARE turn your back on me!!" I hear her rage through her words.

"Too late. I already did."