6. Investigation

Austin

"Come with me." Her brother says.

I knew that brothers are often overprotective towards their sisters and that I really need to get on his good side for him to believe that his little sister will be safe with me even if it is just going to be for a while.

We get inside a room and he locks the door. He then turns towards me and looks straight into my eyes. He has a strong gaze just like Iris.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty seven."

"So, you're two years older than Iris." He says a fact that I didn't knew. I start to get nervous now as we actually do not know anything about each other. I just hope he doesn't question me anything that I don't know about her.

"What do you do as work?"

"I'm a programmer and I work for a software development company."

"Your grandma has a company and you could just choose to be the next CEO. Aren't you interested in your grandma's company?"

"Not really. I'm just happy with what I'm doing right now."

He stops talking and turns around, takes a baseball in his hand and starts playing with it.

"How long have you guys been dating?"

"Three years."

"And you want to marry her so soon?" He throws the ball towards me in no second which startles me but thanks to my reflexes, I catch it. He raises his eyebrows and his lips curve a little, which seemed like he was impressed. I knew I earned a point here.

"Yeah. I'm really in love with her and I want to stay by her side forever." I say in a loving tone to which he seemed disinterested.

"What made you like her?"

"I just like everything about her. There are no specifics. Just her. I just like her presence."

He just continues to stare at me without any words. I, too, stand there in silence and stare at him to show my confidence. He does resemble a lot like Iris.

"The ball." He finally speaks up pointing at the baseball in my hand and I throw the ball towards him which he catches effortlessly. Must be a player.

"Since Iris warned you about how crazy I am, I'm not gonna waste my time on telling how crazy I can get. Just know that I'm really worse when someone tries to hurt her." His voice gets a bit hoarse here and I simply nod.

"Do you know how to play baseball?" He asks.

"I know but I'm not really good at it."

"We should hang out and play often." He offers yet with a cold gaze.

"Definitely."

He nods and places the ball in it's original place and directs me out of the room which indicated that he was done investigating me. I'm not really sure if I got on his good side but I just know that he doesn't think bad about me either, considering that I came out of this room, alive.

He directs me to the garden where Iris, her mother and her father, I suppose, were sitting and having a conversation. She would've probably sorted out his anger a bit and I would have to impress him too to make his anger subside completely.

There were two chairs empty beside Iris' around the round table and as soon as I was about to sit next to her, her brother occupies it making me sit in between him and their father. Now, this gives me the feels of real investigation than earlier. I glance at Iris and find her staring at me with an unpleasant look. Maybe the talk didn't go well. But, Iris' mother was still smiling at me which I return back. It made me less nervous.