32. Autophobia

"Austin, can you come to my house now, please?"

"What happened?" I get worried at her low voice and get off the couch, ready to leave to her house.

"I'll tell you once you come." Her voice making me realise that she is sad and that she was mostly crying for a long time.

"I'll be leaving now-" I take the phone off my ears to cut the call but she speaks up making me listen to her voice again.

"Can you give the phone to Iris? I want to talk to her." I nod, not realising that she can't see me. I walk up the stairs to reach the bedroom.

Are both of them crying for the same reason? It's strange. Why did Caroline quit her job today, out of nowhere? Everything seems strange. The more I think, the more nervous I get.

I open our room door and find Iris crying again silently, with covers above her head covering her whole body. It makes me even more sad and anxious. My heartbeat is increasing at an unhealthy rate as I reach to her and take the covers off of her just to see her crying like a child, her face completely red, cheeks completely wet with her tears, breaking my heart into several pieces. She looks at me and I get on my knees to face her. I keep the phone down on the bed and hold her cheeks with my palms.

"What happened?" I want to ask the questions I resisted till now, now that I feel like they are crying for a reason I should probably know but she shakes her head, not wanting to tell me. I remember the call and take my phone back to hand it to her. "Grandma is on line."

She takes the phone and sits up on the bed to speak to her. All she ever spoke was 'okay' the whole time agreeing to whatever my grandma says to her.

"What happened, Iris?" I ask her once she cuts the call and hands me my phone back but she still refuses to tell me by shaking her head.

"You have to go to her house soon, Austin. She is waiting." She gets off the bed, standing on her feet and walks out of the room. I get back on my feet too and reach towards her. I hold her wrist to stop walking and she faces me.

"I want to know what happened." I ask her being more than serious this time. She takes my hand off her wrist but doesn't move, maintaining the eye contact.

"Didn't your grandma tell that she would tell about it once you get there?" She tells it to me very calmly making me annoyed, because of the tension that's increasing inside me.

"Iris, it wouldn't hurt if you say it. Please don't play with me." I try not to show my annoyance to her but fail.

"Austin, there are some things that you should hear from the right person and right now, I'm not that right person. Don't make her wait for long and hurry up." I try understanding her, giving a deep sigh by closing my eyes hardly, not to get even more anxious than I already am. I get down the stairs, grab my car key and my jacket to walk out of the house.

I drive as fast as I could to reach her house soon and my heartbeat doesn't seem to get normal, making me even more nervous. Once, I reach her house, I don't even knock but dial the password of the door and get in.

She is on the couch, looking at my direction. She looks like she has cried too but she wasn't crying anymore. She taps on the seat beside her, signalling me to sit beside her and I do so.

"What happened?" I don't wait anymore.

"Do you want me to get you a cup of coffee?" She gets up from the couch, diverting the topic and driving me insane.

"Are you both playing with me? What happened? Just say it!" I scream a bit loudly and she looks at me with her eyebrows raised at me in playful manner.

"It's been a while since you last raised your voice at me. Was it when you were nineteen?  I don't think you've done that later on." She smiles, resting her back on the couch, talking unnecessary things and making me lose my patience.