His Loss, My Gain (Mephilver) Pt. 2

Infinite's P.O.V

I couldn't believe what just happened. I winced as Gadget gently placed an ice pack on my eye. "Hold still, I know it hurts!" he reassured as he helped me. When he finished with me, I turned to the box he threw at me. One look and I knew how much he put into this. Using my powers, I brought back the box to its normal to the best of my ability. When I took off the lid, I'd never felt so guilty in all my life. Silver had made a little ornament with our picture in the middle of it.

The picture of our first kiss. My first kiss. My favorite picture...

A long time ago, I was in love with Silver. He was my world. But... slowly... that love faded. I can't explain why. Before I knew it... my heart wanted Gadget. After I broke up with him, I knew I hurt him terribly. He got on his knees and begged for me to stay with him. I made the hardest choice to leave him. Still holding the broken pieces, I watched as Gadget slowly approached me, gently placing his hand on mine, and used his thumb to wipe away a tear from my eye.

"Shhh," he soothed. "I know you didn't want to hurt him. C'mere." he reassured, pulling me in for a hug. As I hugged him, I heard what sounded like angry footsteps coming our way. "Infinite!" a voice shouted. Mephiles. Too hard to forget. I stood up carefully to face him as he stormed over. I tried to look brave but the pain was too fresh.

He grabbed my jacket collar and held me close to his face. "I told you if I EVER hurt Silver, you'd be sorry! Now give me one reason why I shouldn't beat your ass!" he shouted. "Mephiles, stop it! Whatever Silver was upset and angry about, Infinite had nothing to do with it!" Gadget snapped coming between us.

Mephiles backed up a bit and just stared at us. "Wow... you really did take his side." Mephiles growled. "Taking sides?! Silver punched Infinite with no context!"

Reaching into his back pocket while grumbling, he pulled out a paper that looked like a note. "Silver's pissed off! Can you blame him?!" Right then, Sonic, Blaze, and Scrouge came up to his side. "You're such an asshole Infinite! Silver ran off crying because he said you played him!" Blaze yelled. None of this was making sense.

Played him?

Breaking his heart again?

A random gift for me?

Him lashing out at Gadget's locker where I already planned to meet Gadget himself?

What..?

"I don't know what I did! Even though Silver and I broke up, I didn't want to hurt him!" I cried. "Sure. You're a cruel one Infinite. You knew Silver would come back to you so you played that prank!" Sonic snapped at me.

Prank? "What prank? I haven't done anything!" I said, trying to convince them. But it wasn't working. Mephiles threw a note at me and crossed his arms. I picked it up and read it.

Silver,

I'm so sorry for all I've done. I realized that life isn't the same without you. Please, I want to give us another chance. I know I can't live without you. You're the love of my life. Meet me after school at your locker. I need you back.

Love,

          Infinite

A love letter... No wonder he was so upset... I will admit it looks like my handwriting...

Except for one minor detail. "I don't curve my t's! This isn't mine!" I told them. They looked at it again. "He's right. I copied his homework one time. His t's look like plus signs." Scrouge said, backing up my claim. Finally! Someone believes me!

It took a minute or two for the rest to be convinced but they did finally understand me. "But if you didn't do it, who did hmmm?" Blaze asked intently. I shrugged. Gadget looked at it closer. "I mean... it sort of looks like Fleetaway's." he replied, reluctant to even tell us. Right then I noticed Scrouge tense up.

Although... he looked pissed... really pissed. "That son of a bitch. He was asking about Silver and stuff but I thought it was because..." he began. But his eyes then became red in anger. "He's so dead." Scrouge growled before storming off. Sonic and Blaze looked away but apologized to me. (Even if it was brief.) They left leaving both Gadget and Mephiles the only ones left. Mephiles sighed and stayed behind, barely rubbing his quills. "You know Infinite... after you dumped Silver... he was so lost... in fact, he's been the worst I've ever seen him. All he does is talk about you. I just can't understand why you would toss away someone so special..." he said.

With that, he walked away. I whimpered asking myself how I could've caused so much trouble. I never wanted to hurt anyone. But I did. "Are you gonna be okay?" Gadget asked softly.

"To be honest... I'm not sure..." "We'll get through this together. I'm here for you." We shared another hug as everything began seemed to be settled. "I'll meet you outside." As he walked away I bent down to pick up the small pieces of the present from the ground and then threw them in the trash. But I was sure to save one thing only.

The picture I would forever cherish.