CHAPTER 42

6 years later

Adria's POV:

"It's my pleasure to work with you, Sir", I said to the old man who gave me a warm smile and stood up. His assistant pulled his chair back helping him to stand up. Showing him respect, I stood up from my own seat and shook hands with him assuring him once more that I won't be a disappointment to him as my biological father was.

"I trust you. Jake was a bastard but I know you are more like your grandfather", he said in his shaky, raspy voice and left the room.

I was happy that the old clients my grandfather had, were still cooperating with our company even after the mess created by Jake. My grandfather built this empire and Jake ruined it for his greed.

"Come in", I say as someone knocked on the door.

"Mam, Mrs Jenna cancelled the meeting today. She has some health-related issues", my secretary Greta said while walking into my office.

"Thanks for informing, Greta. Do send her flowers on my behalf. And remember she is allergic to roses", I instructed her and she scribbled it on her notepad. Mrs Jenna is a lady in her early fifties, she was my grandfathers assistant during his last days. She has proven to be a great help to me since the day I decided to manage this company. She knows many internal matters and was always loyal to my grandfather. She resigned when he died and Jake took over cause just like every other living being on this planet even Jenna didn't like Jake at all.

She recently had cataract surgery and has to visit her doctor for regular checkups. I would have gone to pay her a visit but I feel really tired today.

"Do I have any other meetings scheduled today", I asked Greta.

"No, ma'am. I guess we are done for the day", she smiled at me and left my office.

"Hushh", I sighed. It was indeed a long day for me today. I had a board meeting, met 2 shareholders and had to analyse last month's report with the finance department.

Laying my head back on the chair I messaged my temples trying to relax a bit. I closed my eyes and regretted it instantly as I saw his face.

There are very rare days when I don't remember him. But today it was even more difficult as my day started by seeing his face on the corner of the front page of a magazine. 'The most eligible bachelor of the country and business tycoon finally settling down with supermodel Shaha?', it read and there was a picture of him along with a tall blonde. The whole article was on the 6th page of the magazine which I did not dare to open. The only thing I looked at properly was the girl. She was pretty. Scratch that, she was gorgeous, looking like the goddess of seduction had landed on the earth. Her pearly white teeth shone as she smiled looking at him while he smiled back at her showing his equally white ones.

I moved my tongue over my teeth suddenly getting conscious of them.

So he has moved on? Austin Damon Hawk was settling down?

I wish.

But if he really is, then it would be good for him. He is getting old already.

Ageing like wine. Oh so fine.

My subconscious mocked at me. The bitch is been hyperactive since the day I walked out of Austin's mansion. I just ignored her.

I looked at my office and thought about how far I came and how fast time passed.

6 years back we left Austin's mansion and I was devasted. I realised I loved him but it was better for me to leave him. I didn't trust him, especially after the incident with Cara. Later that day Andrea told me that Cara was safe and she was sent back to her home, but that didn't change the fact that she was held captive. No matter how hard I had fallen for him I couldn't forgive him for that. He said that he loved me and that he has changed but still he did the same thing I despise him for.

I realised that if he can do it once he can do it again.

After leaving his mansion we went to our grandfather's place, me, Andrea and dad. Even it was a mansion, not as big as Austin's but was unique in its own way. I was so happy to stay there as I could feel connected to mom for the first time. There were many photos of her and my grandparents. It was the first time I saw her face properly. Before I only saw her in the blurry picture dad had framed.

The initial days were not so good for me as I tried to cope up with the heartbreak so I decided to keep myself busy as it would distract me from his memories.

I was just thinking about finding a job when my grandfather's lawyer came to us. He said that when Grandfather died his 'will' stated that the property would only be given to me and Andrea. It can be given to someone else only if we transfer it. So now I and Andrea were the soul hires of the A&A Hotels. The name is strange but trust me people won't care about the name as long as it got money.

A&A was named Adrain and Adreana Davis, my grandparents. And yes dad named me and Andrea after them. That reminds me I never told my moms name. She was, Ariana Davis. They had some weird obsession with names starting from 'A'.

So when grandfather died Jake couldn't own the company but ran it for many years. And let me tell you he did a shitty job. If it was not for the few trusted men grandfather had who were still working for us our business would have been collapsed long back. Especially because Jake did illegal work under our name. But when he was caught our lawyers proved that the company had nothing to do with his deeds. Also, it was proven that he killed mom and grandpa.

When I and Andrea were officially announced as the hires all the responsibilities were put on our shoulders. Andrea backed out because: (1) she did not even complete her schooling. (2) She was kept imprisoned by Jake all her life and now deserved to follow her dreams. (3) She wanted to start an NGO and help girls like her who are forced into sex trafficking. Her aim was clear and much more important than running a company.

Also, I am so happy to tell you that she already started her NGO under the name Ariana Foundation. Dad and I are so so proud of her.

Now I was the only one left so I accepted to try running the company. Keeping aside my childhood dream of becoming a doctor I did my bachelor and Masters in business Association while getting trained under Mr Jones, Mrs Jenna, few other people trusted by my grandfather and also my dad. Today, at the age of 24 I am the CEO of A&A Hotels, one of the leading names with luxuries hotels all over the country. And may I tell you it is freaking tiring but someone has to take over the business.

I am so busy these past few years that I barely get time to breathe let alone spend with Andrea and dad.

Sill somehow my heart finds time to remember him.

I even tried making boyfriends in college thinking that I will get over him but to my surprise, no boys approached me. A few did but broke up with me after a few weeks giving shitty reasons. I made three boyfriends in the last 6 years but my longest relationship lasted 2 months which I ended out of guilt. I felt guilty cause I imagined Austin when I kissed the guy.

After that, I gave up and engrossed myself in work.

Still lost in his thoughts and oddly insecure about my looks after seeing him with the model I drove my black BMW 230i home. Brought this beauty when I received my allowance. It isn't bad to spend on ourselves right?

Also, Grandpa had a penthouse near the office as the mansion is almost 90 mins too far so I shifted there to save the time and effort needed for travelling. Andrea still lives at the mansion while dad rented a flat a few blocks away from the office building. He is a proud man and refuses to live off our grandfather's money. He works for A&A Hotels and only uses the salary he gets.

Andrea complained many times as she has to live alone in that big mansion but stopped complaining when she realised that I can't travel that much daily. It would make no sense.

Even though the three of us stay at different places we have made it a tradition to spend family time on weekends in the mansion. Those are the two days I look forward to after a hectic week.

I was so lost in thoughts that I didn't realise I already reached my apartment building. My penthouse was on the 34th floor so it took me a few minutes in the elevator, which I spent having a healthy conversation with the old elevator guy. He was sweet.

"WTF", I screamed as I entered my house. The lights were still off and there was a shadow leaning on the sofa.

"The news is fake", he said and I instantly recognized the voice.