A Twin's Struggle

*Please remember that this book does NOT  follow JKR's books or time line, the incident where Severus called Lily a 'Mudblood' never takes place in this book!*

I've known my brother James for my entire life, which is unfortunate for me, we're twins!

You're probably asking how it's unfortunate that I'm related to him, the answer to that is simple. I've always been what my parents call unique! I dress differently, I have different interests and hobbies, and I don't make friends very easily.

I'm also extremely shy!

Due to ALL of this, I seem to be James's go to person when he wants someone to make fun of. Most of his friends find it hilarious, especially Sirius, the only one who's ever tried to stop him before I started crying was Remus.... Not that James listened, if anything it got worse after Remus said something.

During our 6th year, we had something new, Professor Dumbledore had decided to throw a ball. While these usually happen during the Tri-Wizard Tournament, that had been banned years ago due to how many deaths took place during them, it was taking place on Christmas, which meant whoever wanted to go needed to stay at school during winter break.

James thought it'd be HILARIOUS to dare Sirius to bring me to the ball, and while I was apprehensive about it when he asked, my friend Lily convinced me to go with him.

"Maybe he's changed Y/N, James seems to be changing, he's being more mature lately." Lily said

"In front of YOU, he's more mature in front of you! He likes you! I'm one of the only Gryffindors he picks on Lils, it's not fair! I'm his sister, isn't he supposed to be nice to me?" I replied

"Petunia isn't nice to me and I'm her sister, I think it's a sibling thing."

"I guarantee you Lils, James put him up to this. I'm pretty sure it's a dare or some sort of bet, and that Sirius gets paid if he actually does it. I can also promise you he's going to make fun of ANY dress I wear. It's going to be 'too colorful' or 'weird'. He always does this!"

"Have a little faith in him, maybe he's trying to be a good friend and get Sirius a girlfriend."

I stopped walking and looked at her with my eyebrow quirked.

"A girlfriend? I don't think Sirius Black does 'girlfriends', he does 'fuck things' and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be a female. It just needs legs!"

She was trying not to smile, she always wants to see the best in people.

"Y/N! That's mean!"

"I'll accept his offer Lils but you have to go dress shopping with me"

"That's fair, I need a dress anyway. We can get them together."

"Who are you going with? If you say James, I'm going to scream!"

"No, Sev asked me. While James did ask, I'd already said yes to Sev."

"Well at least I can avoid both of them if they decide to be complete asshats!"

When I agreed to go with Sirius, James had one stipulation.... 'Don't embarrass me with whatever godawful dress you get'. Lily tried to stand up for me but it didn't work very well, he just said 'I'm just saying, she has a habit of wearing weird clothes'.

We went dress shopping a few days before the ball, which Dumbledore was now calling the 'Yule Ball'

Lily picked out a beautiful red dress, she said she'd coordinated colors with Severus, something about Christmas colors, I just thought they'd be representing their houses but she insisted that wasn't what it was. I picked out my dress, hoping that James wouldn't say anything about it.