Confirming Baby

We made another appointment for July 15th, which was again roughly 2 weeks after the positive tests but Xenophilius stayed in the room this time, with the doctor completely omitting the Doppler and going straight to the ultrasound.

This time we were met by the sound of a little heartbeat and an image that looked completely different from my first ultrasound.

"It looks like a congratulations is in order this visit, you look to be about 8 weeks pregnant. Given the date you gave for your last menstrual cycle, I'd say your due date is around Valentine's Day." The doctor said, looking back at both of us.

I was too busy looking at the screen in front of us in awe, and listening to the sound of the baby's heartbeat to hear anything the doctor had just said.

She printed out little pictures for us to take home with us and while we were excited about the baby, we decided not to tell anyone else just yet. They had us make another appointment for 3 months later, calling it a 'gender reveal' ultrasound and a '20 week appointment'. It would also tell them if the baby was still on course for the due date they gave us, and if they were growing properly.

"Are you excited about the next appointment?" Xenophilius seemed a lot more excited about finding out the gender of the baby then I was

"I don't really care what the baby's gender is, I just want it to be healthy." I answered

He seemed to deflate a little, it looked like I'd just thrown a bucket of cold water over his head. I hadn't meant for him to get the impression that he shouldn't be excited, he had every right to be, but that was clearly what'd happened.

"Love, you have every right to be excited about the appointment and every right to want to know what we're having. I just personally don't care if we have a boy or a girl, I'd be happy either way. As long as the baby comes out happy and healthy, that's all I care about at the moment. It would be useful in decorating a nursery though." I was trying to reassure him that he wasn't doing anything wrong, the amount of paranoia he has for being made fun of due to being excited about things other people weren't excited about is unbelievable.

"If you say so" his demeanor had completely changed at this point

We apparated home, just in time for me to quirk an eyebrow at him and give him a look of disbelief.

"What?" He sounded confused

"James was excited about finding out what he and Lily are having too you know? Lily didn't particularly care but thought it'd be convenient to know what color to paint the nursery. She said he was elated when he found out it's going to be a boy, something about going out for drinks with Sirius."

"I want the baby to be healthy, that's it."

"Mhmmm, you're still trying not to be excited when you have every right to be. If you could choose what the baby is, what would you want?"