1. skye

"Can you please hand him to me?" Avie asked JJ for the third time as she grew annoyed that her son was crying in his father's arms and she could not get up from the hospital bed to take him. As a newborn, he felt comfort in his mother's arms and longed to be against her chest for her body was the only body he knew.

JJ sighed as he attempted to hold the baby against his chest but the scream he let out showed his disapproval. He placed a kiss on the crown of the infant's head then slowly handed him to his mother.

River was so different than Skye. From day one she loved to be with her father, taking in every moment to get him wrapped around her finger but Skye was another case.

It had only been 24 hours and Skye would cry almost every time he was in JJ's embrace. Avie tried to tell him it was probably just a coincidence but he felt otherwise, feeling as though his own son resented him for some unknown reason.

"Thank you." Avie whispered as she moved her gown over to expose her chest before pausing and looking at JJ, "Don't look." She told him.

JJ rolled his eyes as he turned away, "You act like I haven't seen your boobs before."

She continued what she was doing and helped guide her son to latch onto her breast, "Well, now you don't get to."

"Don't need to." He took his phone out of his pocket and sat himself down in one of the guest chairs as he entertained himself during Skye's feeding.

"My parents are coming to visit in a little." Avie told JJ.

"Okay." He responded bluntly as he scrolled through his apps.

"You're gonna get Rivvy, right?" She almost demanded him.

JJ looked up at her with just his eyes before huffing and closing his phone, "I thought you didn't want her at the hospital?"

"Okay, well now I want her to meet her brother here. Is it that big of a deal?" Avie questioned as her patience ran thin from being tired and overwhelmed, already stressed out by the idea of two children.

JJ shrugged, "You want me to go pick her up? She's at Ashton's right now."

"Please." She spoke quietly as Skye fussed momentarily in her arms before settling again.

His eyes darted to his son before taking his eyes away from her chest, remembering her request from before. He nodded and looked down, "You got it."

"I just want her to meet him before everyone else does." Avie leaned her head back as she tried to relax with the infant in her arms who was slowly falling asleep. She brushed a gentle hand over his head which felt like the softness of peach fuzz. She smiled softly at how content he looked then turned her head towards JJ. She raised her eyebrows at him.

"I'll be back." JJ told her as he grabbed his wallet, tucking it into the back pocket of his khakis and exiting Avie's hospital room.

She watched as he left before suddenly feeling worried as she would have to fend for herself until her parents got to the hospital. She was hoping it wouldn't be long but anxiety coursed it's way through her veins at the thought of mothering the new baby alone. The nurses were around but they came in and out.

When River was born, she had all the help and company she needed and more. She never felt alone. She had love with JJ and Riv's birth only made them stronger.

But now Avie laid alone in a cold hospital room with her and JJ's son, dreading what life would be like once she was released.

~~~~

"Avie.." JJ whispered as he entered the hospital room, stepping carefully not wanting to make too much noise. He held the hand of his first born as she walked slowly by his side, hiding near his leg as she was nervous in the unfamiliar environment.