38. jealous

There's a part at the end that someone suggested a few weeks ago but I can't find the comment! It will lead into the next chapter but if it was you, please let me know!

****

A few months had passed since Daylon Thomas was laid to rest.

Ashton came over to Avie and JJ's apartment multiple times each week, much more than he had been doing. Maybe he wanted to make sure his baby sister was alright or maybe he, himself, needed the emotional support of his niece and nephew.

Regardless, him and his sister were leaning on each other for support more than ever. It was what they both needed and Ashton was a great distraction for the kids as well.

Amelia and Rian spent their time mourning to themselves. Avie worried that they were isolating themselves more than what was a healthy way to cope but Ashton assured her that they were doing alright.

Avie stopped by a handful of times to check in and give them some company, but Amelia and Rian tried their best to convince both of their children that they would be okay.

Though they could not convince themselves.

It was another day of Ashton visiting.

JJ was beginning to feel like he was overstaying his welcome by coming so often but Avie argued that she needed her big brother as much as possible.

JJ would beg to differ and say that he could comfort her, too, but how does he tell his girlfriend her only bother left should not come over anymore?

"Oh really?" Ashton raised his eyebrows at River who stood before him. She was going on about how she went school shopping with Grandma and Grandpa, another thing that the pair did to distract themselves from their son's death.

"Mhm." River nodded, standing between his legs as he sat on the couch, "Dey even bought me a backpack! For all my books! Did you know I have books?" She was starting preschool soon and was nearly jumping out of her skin at the thought of all the cool things her parents told her she would learn about; animals, plants, families, songs, etc. She could not wait.

Ashton chuckled, unable to hide his smile around his niece and her bright heart. He remembered the times when she became so quiet and anxious, unable to be around anybody but her father after her parents split for a while. Ashton loved seeing her overcome those days, growing into a much stronger and happier child.

He also could not help but smile after having a rough morning straightening up Daylon's room. He needed to see his niece and nephew to keep his mind off of that.

Daylon's room had not been touched since before he was arrested. The door remained closed and after his passing, Amelia and Rian did not dare to go in. Even the thought made their hearts feel the weight all over again.

But Ashton needed a specific shirt for whatever reason and he knew he had borrowed it from his brother not too long ago. After finding what he needed, he took an hour to straighten up the stale clothes laying around.

"What typa books you got, Riv?" Ashton asked as he grinned at River.

Avie smiled as she watched them from a distance, standing in the kitchen with JJ.

JJ sighed and rubbed Avie's sides before kissing her forehead, "You gonna stay home all day with Ash again?"

Avie looked at him as her smile faded, "What do you mean?"

He glanced at Ashton who continued his conversation with River then looked down to his little boy who sat up by himself on the floor.

Skye was nearly crawling and able to sit up without any help now. He fiddled with some of River's dolls in front of him.