17. cropped

happy wednesday!
buckle up, folks.

****

Monday came.

JJ stood outside of Avie's apartment, as per the usual arrival, with River standing at his side in her pajamas.

He had let her stay up late the night prior watching some baking show while they ate peanut butter cookies and drank soda until about one a.m.

Now here they were, both tired, at eight a.m.

"Hey." Avie swung the door open. Her eyes immediately made their way to River as she noticed she was still in her pajamas.

River looked up, "Hi, Mommy."

Avie looked at JJ, "Hi.. um,"

JJ grinned tiredly at her and walked inside, leaving her quite confused at the interaction.

"Why is she in pajamas?" Avie closed her front door.

"Where's baby Skye!?" River quickly looked around without seeing her little brother. Despite her being exhausted, it was safe to say she was over tired and beyond satisfied that she got her way last night.

JJ had tried to get her to sleep knowing they had to be here early for Skye's two month appointment but after lots of tears and multiple tantrums, River had gotten her way with her father.

What else is new?

"He's sleeping." Avie replied without looking away from JJ. She could tell he was not telling her something, "Wanna answer my question?"

JJ shrugged, "She woke up right before we left. Too tired to put clothes on."

Avie sighed, "And why was she not awake already?"

"Where's he sleepin'?" He asked in order to avoid telling her what they did.

"JJ.."

"Alright! We stayed up late. She got upset when I tried to lay her down." He decided against lying as that never did him any good.

"Oh my god." Avie rolled her eyes, "And he's sleeping in the carrier in my room. He's ready to go as soon as Sarah gets here."

Another reason JJ let the child stay up late sometimes, which he did not tell Avie, was because he knew the less sleep she got, the less chance of a panic attack. Those hurt him to watch and they were painful for the little girl. If he could prevent her from ever sleeping in order to avoid a panic attack, he would.

"Sarah's coming?" JJ looked at her confused.

"She's gonna watch Riv while we take Skye."

He nodded then looked down at River.

River looked between her parents. She liked wearing her pajamas. It was not often that JJ allowed her to spend the day in them but she loved it today when her father woke her up and all she had to do was lay in his arms as he carried her to the car.

"C'mon, Rivvy. Let's get you dressed." Avie spoke and reached her hand out to Riv.

She shook her head slightly and held her hands together.

"You can't stay in your PJs all day, baby." Avie smiled at her.

"Daddy says I can." She crossed her arms.

Avie raised her eyebrows at JJ. She was growing impatient with how many little things added up. Having cookies for breakfast, unnecessary soda, staying up late, and Avie secretly knew about their little cursing secret. He was lucky that Riv was smart enough not to do it in front of anybody but him.