3. beach

Avie sat on the couch hovered over Skye after changing yet another diaper. She blew gently onto his face making him squirm slightly in joy. She smiled down at him as she watched for his reaction. 

He stopped moving and stared up at her, fidgeting with his fingers slightly. He wore a light blue onesie that matched the color of his eyes. 

Avie noticed the blue inside his eyes and how his hair already seemed to be bleach blonde like his father's was when he was a baby. River was blonde but her hair turned darker as she got older. It seemed as if Skye was taking more after JJ than he was Avie. 

She noticed his features and how he no longer looked like he had just arrived. She kissed his cheek as he wiggled beneath her, "You're one week old, Skye." She sat up again and watched him. 

JJ had come by twice since the day they brought him to Avie's apartment and both times ended in some sort of tension or argument which lead to JJ leaving before River would see something she should not be seeing. 

Avie preferred it this way. She missed her daughter more than anything but she picked up on how the infant would cry every time JJ came around. Logically, it was probably coincidence but Avie noticed despair in his eyes when he could not help with his son. It was torment to him. 

"Okay, I have to run home for a few hours. Will you be okay by yourself while I'm gone?" Amelia walked out of the bathroom. She had decided to stay with her daughter while she adjusted to her new life, helping out with everything that JJ would have been if they were together.

"Mom, you don't have to stay anymore. It's been a week. I've got it now." Avie told her and scooped Skye into her arms.

"Avery, I can't leave you alone with a baby. You know how hard that is?" Amelia asked as she grabbed her pocketbook.

Avie just shook her head, "No, really." She stood from the couch, "I'll be fine. JJ comes to help, too."

"I thought you said he's only visited a few times?" Amelia scrunched her eyebrows and placed a hand on her hip.

Avie sighed and rolled her eyes, "He barely helps anyways. Skye just cries when he's around; I don't know why."

Amelia bit her bottom lip and examined her daughter's facial expressions, "Okay, alright." She threw her hands in surrender, "I'll come back tomorrow to help out. If you need anything, and I mean anything, until then just call me."

Avie nodded and swayed with Skye in her arms to help him fall asleep, "I know. Thank you, Mom. You've done too much already."

"Okay," Amelia whispered and walked towards the front door of the apartment, "I love you, Avery."

"Love you, too." She guided her mother towards the front door and opened it for her.

"Bye, baby boy." Amelia grinned and placed a kiss on Skye's forehead, "I love you so much."

Avie smiled at the interaction then watched Amelia walk down the stairs outside. 

"Alright," She whispered and closed the front door behind her, "What are we gonna do now? Huh?" She swayed gently and Skye's eyes began to close. He tried to keep them open but failed as he fell into a sound sleep.

"Maybe we can get out of the house today." Avie spoke softly as she cradled Skye in one arm then used her free hand to grab the carrier, "I think that would be nice."

Being that it was the middle of summer, Avie longed to be outside in the warm sun doing whatever she used to do before she had kids. She missed going to the beach, staying up late every night, hanging out with her friends.