20. booboo

"Ya know, I really think those waves were surf-able." JJ spoke to his friends as he held his sleeping son against his chest, sitting on the couch at the chateau.

John B chuckled and rolled his eyes at his friend, "They were not." He sat on the opposite side of the couch from the blonde.

"You would've died, JJ." Pope insisted, sitting on the floor across from the other two boys.

Sarah laughed, "Didn't you guys surf a storm like years ago?" She sat between her boyfriend's legs on the ground.

Kie, sitting beside Pope, rolled her eyes, "They did. Don't know how they survived."

"I think they suffer long term brain damage from that." Avie stated as she handed River her phone. The little girl quickly unlocked it and walked around the house as she began her virtual adventure.

"I didn't surf those waves." JJ told her.

"Yeah, not sure where your brain damage comes from." Avie teased him.

JJ scoffed, "Rude."

The pogues laughed at the interaction between the two.

Everything was exactly how things used to be; relaxed, easy-going, and always a good time. They had all missed when things could be like this.

After not talking for months, they all wondered if things would ever return to normal. Seeing JJ and Avie get along lately gave them all much hope.

It had been a few days since JJ watched Avie shower. Nothing was awkward. They felt more comfortable around each other than ever.

Though, they had not touched each other at all since. JJ was scared to take it too far and scare her off, and Avie was too scared that he would not want her back after everything happened.

She feared rejection. She knew he felt everything she felt but deep down both of them knew too much had happened between them. There were words exchanged that neither of them could take back that still lingered.

"I swear to God, Avie, get the fuck out of my way. I want to leave!" JJ shouted after he had put their daughter down for the night. They had broken up a week ago. He slept with another woman two nights ago. Avie was petrified he would do it again. She was hurt by him but couldn't help but beg him not to leave.

"Why? So you can go fuck that girl again?" Avie stood in front of the front door.

"Maybe! I'd rather be with her than you right now." In that moment, he meant it. He was angry with her. She said hurtful things, too, that hurt him just as much as him sleeping with someone else hurt her.

Avie's heart dropped as her mouth opened in shock. She wasn't going to cry. She was too angry. "You, JJ Maybank, are by far the worst possible man I could have chosen to be with."

But things were not like that anymore. Neither of them felt those feelings anymore.

Maybe time was in their favor.

Sarah smiled as she watched River pace on Avie's phone. Sarah looked at JJ and Avie, "I'm so happy we can all hangout again."

"You can say that again." Pope grinned as he pointed a finger up.

Kie smiled with a nod, "I agree."

John B sat up and patted JJ's shoulder, "I'm proud of you both. I know it hasn't been easy." He looked at Avie.

John B knew the most details of their problems out of all the pogues. JJ confided in him the most. John B watched them go from falling apart to now falling back together.