14. friends

Avie moaned in her sleep, feeling a pounding in her head that was waking her up. She laid on her back, rubbing her temples with her palms as she squeezed her eyelids tight.

She groaned quietly and opened her eyes, her eyebrows quickly knitting together when she realized where she was.

She sat up on her elbows and looked around the room that she once spent many nights in and even where she spent the first few months of her daughter's life. She began to raise her baby girl in this room.

What the hell was she doing here?

Avie pushed the blankets off her upper body and sat up fully with her eyes squinted, adjusting to the light of the rising sun peaking through the window.

"Avie?"

"Shit!" Her heart jumped as her head snapped to see JJ sitting up on the floor, looking in her direction. Her hands fumbled to find the covers and pull it over her chest, realizing she was still in her bikini, "What the hell are you doing?"

JJ knitted his eyebrows together, "I slept here?"

"Wha-" She looked around again, "W-why did you sleep on the floor?"

"I wasn't gonna sleep with you." He told her, not understanding if she remembered last night yet or not.

She shrugged, "You could have."

He chuckled and shook his head, "I wasn't doing that." He stood up and adjusted his bathing suit bottoms that he, too, fell asleep in. He stretched his arms up as he yawned then sat at the edge of the bed, tired from barely sleeping at all.

Avie shifted and watched him for a moment. 

It was quiet. Their heads were pounding from their hangovers as both of them thought about what to say next.

JJ wanted to address what happened. He didn't want her to never remember or eventually remember then get mad that he never said anything. He had no idea where to begin. How does one respectfully tell their ex that they enjoyed hooking up with them and that they don't regret it at all but it shouldn't happen again? 

JJ knew it should not happen again. He was playing with fire last night and he was still not sure what the aftermath was.

Avie wanted to apologize for him sleeping on the floor though she was not sure if she made him or if he voluntarily chose to. She scratched her shoulder.

"Are we gonna talk about what happened last night or..?" He broke the silence.

"Right," Avie nodded then looked at him, "what happened last night?"

JJ blinked as he stared at her. He contemplated not even bothering but he needed to tell her it was okay, "You don't remember?"

She looked down as she shrugged, "I remember hitting my head then you carrying me." She remembered a little more but felt too embarrassed to bring any of it up. 

"Fuck." He whispered as he sighed and looked around the room in attempt to think of a way to bring it up, "Um, okay, Avie. We-"

"We did not have sex." She snapped at him, "Tell me we didn't."

He quickly shook his head with wide eyes. Would it be so bad if they did? He thought. 

She sighed of relief.

He gave her a look with his eyebrows furrowed.

"What!?"

"Would it be so bad?" He gave her an offended look.

She reached out and hit his chest without smiling though she felt a lightness in the air.

"Are you still mad at me?" He asked as they both settled back into their conversation.