𝑋𝑋𝑋𝑉𝐼𝐼

Chapter 37: Session 33
Queens, New York
November 8th, 5:24 pm

'Cause a house is not a home
When no one's there
So alone, no one's there

"Why are you being so damn weird and secretive, can you just tell me what's going on?!" Maleah exclaimed in a frustrated manner to Chris, who was barely paying her any mind

"Why are you being so damn weird and secretive, can you just tell me what's going on?!" Maleah exclaimed in a frustrated manner to Chris, who was barely paying her any mind. This was exactly how it'd been for the past 3 days between the two since the night she was in his office with him.

After chaotically rummaging through hundreds of papers and nearly throwing the entire office upside down with not even a peep exchanged, he eventually ended up with a thick stack of papers. He didn't vocalize what they were for, and still didn't. Each time he went by her house, he simply greeted her then went straight to Nova. Any other time she would have been thankful he wasn't speaking and just took care of his child, but she hated it now.

"Can you lower your voice around her when you see she trying to sleep?" He raised an eyebrow, never taking his eyes up from his daughter who lay fast asleep in her rocker.

"Can you tell me what's going on? You know what happened the last time we started keeping secrets and not being truthful and- it just doesn't do good for anyone. Especially not between you and I and you know this." She sighed, trying to reason with him as best as she could because she wasn't trying to fight with him. But she did want him to understand whatever happened clearly had something to do with either her or her brother, so she deserved to know.

"Maleah-."

"Please, I deserve to know if this shit is about me and you know I do." She begged, hoping he would somehow cave. Silence consumed them for a minute until he let out a deep sigh and stood to his feet. Grasping Maleah's arm in his hand tightly, he pulled her body towards the living room area without saying anything. She chose to keep quiet also, him clearly not wanting to speak until the two of them got situated comfortably.

"I wasn't trying to tell you for your own good, cause I didn't want to be the one coming here and fucking shit up-."

"It wouldn't be you fucking anything up if you're going based off of something you came across and not even on purpose at that. Just be honest with me and don't beat around the bush either, I want to see and know everything." She spoke sternly, not wanting him to even attempt on sparing her feelings because she needed the truth. Whatever that was and however she took it could be crossed and figured out later.

"...Okay." He finally agreed after a moment of keeping silent. Reaching behind him, he grabbed the manilla folder that contained all of the different
papers he gathered to further understand what was going on. Pulling them out, he spread them all over the table in a way she would be able to read and see what most of them said. The main thing sticking out to Maleah instantly was her brother's name plastered somewhere on most, if not all, of the papers. Furrowing her eyebrows, she went to grab one, but was quickly stopped by Chris. "Don't touch nothing."