A Sea of Enemies

||Cecilia||

"Where did Arthur go?" I hear Eleanor ask me as she fired from the rearguard.

"He said that Valden was attacked and had to assist them. For now, I'll be the temporary squad leader." Curtis announced from the front before thrusting his sword into a nearby foot soldier.

"At least he left us when we could handle ourselves." We were all screaming our sentences as we fought the hordes of enemies we were fending off near the church at the square.

"Look out!" I exclaimed to Kathlyn who quickly dodged six fireballs that were dimly glowing in grey.

In return, I shot out tendrils of poisonous vines that swatted the soldiers to our right giving us some breathing room.

"Curtis, I suggest we change our way of fighting," Claire shouted as she gracefully killed off five soldiers with shields in a single slash but the damage she did was almost none existent as more Alcryans began to flood in and surround us.

Try making a vine dome, Tessia suggested.

Ok.

I shot out more tendrils from the ground that slithered like giant snakes around us like a dome, those who were unfortunate were either trampled or impaled by the razor-sharp thorns the vines bore.

I could hear the churning of the flesh outside accompanied by their agonizing screams blood seeped from some of the vines causing some cold shivers to run down my spine.

"Thanks for that, I needed to catch my breath." Claire dropped her rapier and she sat on the ground crisscrossing her legs as she tried to regain her strength "It was tiring out there. I really have grown rusty."

"It's fine Claire, you've been out of the battlefield for too long, the only drill you had were the two days we needed to warm up." Ellie patted Claire's head making her frustrated facade soon turn into a comforting smile. 

"Alright, here's what we're gonna do. Claire and Tess, you get on Boo with Ellie while Kathlyn you get in Grawder with me. We're going to break out of this on my signal. Tessia use your vines to fling up dust so that they'll get distracted, I'll use world howl so that we can pierce through their ranks. Claire, help me burn some of Tessia's vines. If she doesn't mind of course " Curtis quickly came up with a plan.

"I can't argue with that." I agreed with the idea of creating more vines that they can incinerate. 

"Alright, let's light them up!" Claire said ecstatically as she stood up and blasted fireballs at the vines. The flames engulfed the vines and the beast will from inside me quaked and I felt the anguish it emanated as a metaphorical part of its soul turned into nothing but piles of soot and ash that were collected to the other edges of the vine dome.

"Tessia, Claire since you two have affinities with wind magic. I'll leave it up to you two to scatter the dust around us." Curtis said as he burnt the last batch of tendrils.

"We got your back." I shot a form nod to him.

"Unfortunately I can't get into Grawder nor Boo." Kathlyn declined Curtis' hand that was about to pull her up to Grawder.

"Your motion sickness is still acting up? "

She only nodded in affirmation.

"Ok, but be careful." Curtis groaned.

Claire hopped in Grawder as a replacement rubbing the lion's mane gently causing it to bellow softly.  

Her feet were coated with Ice mana and surprisingly, a small smile began to show.

"She has this new style of being a conjurer. Kathlyn is one of the few mages here who know how to move and yet conjure at the same time, her affinity for ice helps too. She can just make the ground slippery and move in the ice while firing. Plus she has this weird condition where she gets very dizzy when riding mounts" Ellie explained to me seeing the curiosity in my eyes.