Chapter 21

Back to the story, don’t forget to read the inksgiving’s chapter I posted last friday!

Bartholomé P.O.V

The dagger is coming nearer and nearer from Akim’s neck, making my heartbeat speed up and my hands involuntarily clench around Zane’s chubby body. Just as a slim cut is made and blood starts to seep from the wound, the hand holding the weapon stops in its deadly tracks. My breath halts along with it, my confused eyes going from the now shivering fingers to the clenched eyes of the male and his bitten lips, looking like he is struggling with some sort of inner conflict.

Akim doesn’t waste the chance and quickly reverses their position, now lying above the slender, but taller man and holding his hands pinned above his silver hairs, squeezing his white wrist to let it drop the dagger. While Akim is bronze skinned with bulky muscles, the assailant has fair skin, looking weak like a flower with peach blossom eyes, shoulder length silver hair and a cute button nose.

"Why, Liam, why!?" Akim screams, or more like growl, at the beauty. It clearly looks like they know each other, but why would this Liam attack us if he is at our side? The man seems to be in pain, his eyebrows scrunch up and his lips quivering as they open and close, not a sound leaving it. I can see his eyes changing, switching between a dull dark gray to a fiery and hypnotizing silver colour. After a few minutes of this strange endeavour, the stormy silver wins and some broken sounds leave his lips before he answers.

"C-captain…magic…po-possession…don’t w-want to hurt you…" Liam says in between broken gasps, his jaw straining with nerves as he forces himself to speak, a quivering smile resting on his lips as he finishes, desperate love filling his eyes. A bulb lights itself in my head and everything becomes clear. First, with the way both of them look at each other I’m pretty sure they have an ambiguous relationship. Second, it seems like Liam is controlled by another puppet magic than the one with Luka, a weaker one if I can assume by the way Liam seems able to fight it when he is strongly against the acts ordered.

Soon, however, the dull pupils come back and with it comes the fighting spirit. Luckily, Akim had not let his guard down and kept a tight grip on his lover’s wrist. His azure eyes full of fury look down at the man baring its teeth and growling after him. Turning back to me, his fiery orbs sooth down and instead a cold look replace it, silently asking me what I wanted him to do with Liam. I can see that Akim’s loyalty is strong, stronger than his love. He will even allow me to kill his mate if I order him to. However, I am no monster.

"Can you, like, chomp his neck or something to make him faint? Like in the movies. It appears that he is controlled by someone, his actions are not his own and, thus, he will not be accused of treason." I say with a reassuring smile toward Akim, happy to see his tense body relaxing with a subtle sight of relief. The teddy bear presses on some place on his lover’s neck who immediately goes limp and closes his eyes, his breath even and his body looking like a puppet with its strings cut. Quite fitting.

As Akim let go of Liam to walk toward the wall covered with the cabinet and open a drawer to take out a rope, Zane quietly hums in appreciation for the quietness’s return before latching back at my free nipple, his little rosy gums chewing on it as he greedily gulps the warm liquid. 

Gluttonous brat.

I gently pinch his left butt cheek to childishly punish him for his behaviour, making him growl in dissatisfaction at me. I then proceed to gently stroke his small fluffy black hairs, sometimes touching his smooth curved horns, while thinking of what everything that just happened means.

If Liam is also controlled by someone, that means that the King wasn’t the previous puppeteer like we first thought. He is actually confined in the dungeon, his last bit of magic being drained out of him. Luka sends Misha to visit him periodically to extract information and the last time she went, two days ago, she told us that the King wouldn’t have much longer to live, his magic’s core nearly exhausted. He wouldn’t have the ability, nor the opportunity, to put a puppet magic on Liam, whose duties are to guard the outside of the castle. Well, I assume it is, because I have never seen him inside our home.

"Akim, would you mind explaining to me who Liam is? Professionally and personally, of course. It could help me guess what happened." I say, also curious about their relationship. I need to know when Liam could have been infected with the dark magic and who could have done it.

"Liam is one of my best subordinates. I’m the captain of the defence, which means that my men and I normally defend the outside and patrol the surroundings. Only when a royal member is threatened then I personally need to defend them. Liam was supposed to fight in the front line, his skills are best at close range. He is also my mate and dominant. I know homosexual relationship are not really viewed as something acceptable, even more so if it’s BDSM and between a captain and his subaltern, but we can’t quit the army nor each other. I understand if you saw fit to give us a punishment when everything is over, but for now I need to stay by your side, even if I disgust you, sir. I’m sorry." Akim says in one big breath, dumping a big mass of information on me before kneeling before the chair where I am seated with his back straight and his head bowed. My jaw drops, not quite expecting this much detail and trying to imagine muscled and manly Akim bonded to a bed being whipped and fucked by slim and girly Liam before shaking the mental images out of my head. I guess it is kind of hot, but now is not the time to view mental porn.

"Don’t worry Akim. I am in no way disgusted by your, um, preferences or your love life. I even know a white-haired omega that would be more than happy to discuss it with you, bottom to bottom. Regarding the captain and subaltern thing, I’m not quite sure about the laws concerning that, but I’m sure Luka can come up with a way to help you both. Anyways, for now we need to wait until the fight is over. Would you please do something for the air vent to prevent anyone else from entering the room?" I say, my brain going fast and thinking about all the possibilities. Akim bows down and loudly thanks me before getting up and getting a chair to reach the air vent, taking some tape, which he used to tie Liam’s mouth with, with him. I hope no one else will disturb us.

The amount of information my brain needs to proceed is quite large, but if reading a lot teaches me one thing, it is to quickly grasp the main points and form links between them. Behind the King, the Queen, Selena, her dad and her mom, there must be someone with a higher position. Someone who can use puppet magic, but with low powers. Like a chef passing down his special recipe to his son who doesn't know how to cook, who will then order a lower chef to do it. 

The person previously used the King’s high magic to consolidate the spell which they didn’t have the abilities to cast and then used Selena as a recipient to stick to Luka. This way, they wouldn't be suspected if the scheme was discovered. However, they now have only the other king, who is weaker, to use, which means that the spells are now easily controllable if the puppet has a strong will to disobey.

The king’s decision to attack our kingdom must have been made on impulse and not discussed with the person behind him, or they wouldn’t have agreed. It is way too risky, which is why they had to accept to use unpredictable means, like using Liam, to try to harm us. They know that if Luka succeeds and conquers the other kingdom, he will take their magic’s orb and strengthen our island, which will then make it impossible for the person to attack us again. If Liam had succeeded, however, the person would have Zane and I hostage to put pressure on Luka. What I can’t tell, though, is their goal.

What do they want? How did they learn puppet magic? Only our secret library is supposed to contain all types of magic, even the forbidden ones like puppet magic. I don’t think the King went to find the person and gave him our secrets, why would he do that only to be used as the scapegoat? The person already knew the magic and then made contact with the old man and the neighbour's king. Do they have a spy inside our walls? But even then, it is not everyone that has access to the library.

I can feel it, I’m missing a piece of information to be able to solve this complex puzzle.

Hey dear readers, Bart’s brain is going to explode! What do you think of Liam and Akim?

At least they are safe, for now…

Don’t forget to:

Vote~

Comment~

And subscribe~

See ya next update~

(1 577 words)