CH:01

┈     ┈     ┈     ⋞ 〈 🎤 〉 ⋟     ┈     ┈     ┈

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 🎤 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

N/S Corner Store
10:30pm

"Good night," Felix yawned behind his computer, leaning his tired arms against the counter and stretching to easily stand and give the hooded customer a proper greeting. "Isn't it a late hour to be outside?" He tried to joke but quickly inverted that freckled smile when the unfamiliar stranger only scoffed at his remark before walking over to the almost empty snack aisle. "Okay then..."

Looking back down at his laptop and open textbook, Felix hesitantly took back his seat, glancing up every few seconds to ensure that the customer wasn't doing anything suspicious. He sighed at the dreaded sight of the seemingly endless assignments in front of him then at the clock, biting his lip at the memory of his rational decision to accept that job just to continue meeting his daily needs.

"You're studying?" The unfamiliar voice rang for the first time, startling the tired cashier, "Why are you working such late hours here if you're studying?"

"Some things just have to be done," Felix smiled, humble, as he stood to cash out the male's items, looking up now and then and shivering at the way the other's eyes were clearly stuck onto his movements- the darkness of the hood hovering above them contrasting the white coating surrounding the seemingly black irises. Informing the stranger of his price, Felix watched as the man pulled out a clearly overused wallet from his pocket before handing him the exact change, a crooked smile exposing one prominent dimple near his uniquely plump lips.

"Here you go," the male smiled before taking a hold of his plastic bag, eyes once again trailing down to the open textbook and laptop situated to the far end of the counter. "I hope you don't mind me asking but, are you new here? Like I've been to this shop a couple of times but there's usually a female cashier."

Looking down, Felix bit on the inside of his cheek, mind tiredly running over the question and analyzing the possible outcomes of him answering that oddly inquisitive, hooded stranger at such an hour. Meeting the dark eyes again, he sighed before speaking up, the still visible dimple on the male's cheek practically forcing him to give an honest response. "Rent," he mumbled before looking away once more, tapping his fingers idly against the wooden surface of the counter. "Things are kinda hard on my end, you know? And with finals coming up and all, I have to make enough to cover my loan, feed myself, keep a roof over my head... but that has nothing to do with you, I'm sorry. Have a good night."

The stranger cocked his head to the side, placing his plastic bag of snacks back onto the counter and folding his arms. "Ambitious much?" He tried to tease, but the small frown replacing the plain setting on the freckled cashier's lips was enough to inform him of how insensitive that comment truly was. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out like that. What I mean is I think that you are really strong, and I hope that everything works out fine for you."