CH:18

┈     ┈     ┈     ⋞ 〈 🎤 〉 ⋟     ┈     ┈     ┈

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 🎤 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

Sunshine Apartments
3:30pm

With his face scrunched in suspense and fingers fiddling with each other ever so childishly as he awaited his best friend's response to his admission, Hyunjin sighed heavily, right instep anxiously tapping against the carpet and head lowered so submissively as if a judgmental reply was expected from Jeongin. He could only scoff after a few minutes with no verbal reaction from the other, one hand lifting to palm his face restively. "Innie, so you're just going to sit there and say nothing? Come on."

Sighing and slumping back in his seat on the single sofa with legs perched up on the coffee table, Jeongin ran a hand over his face, head shaking and eyes staring up intently at the ceiling. "So, he's pregnant?"

"That's what I said," a light chuckle sounded with Hyunjin's words, shoulders lifting and head resting on the back of the couch so that he too could look up at the drywall ceiling. "He's pregnant and struggling, and I'm willing to go as far as it takes to be there for him."

Raising his eyebrows with the shrugging of his shoulders, Jeongin lifted his legs off of the small table carefully, arms stretching forward and a wide yet contained yawn bypassing his lips. "What can I say? You're a grown man." He spoke calmly, eyelids heavy and tongue smacking the roof of his mouth. "But I do have one question though. Just to make sure that you're aware of what you're doing."

"What is it?"

"Are you sure that you want to date someone with child?"

"I- I never said I wanted to date him-"

"Hyunjin don't play dumb," Jeongin scolded mockingly, face molding into a sarcastic yet knowing expression as his feet found their way back onto the coffee table. "You just said that you're willing to go as far as it takes to be there for him. And you really don't think that you two will end up dating?"

"Well... when you put it like that... I guess? I wouldn't mind," Hyunjin spoke softly, voice cracking in between words out of sheer, unreasonable nervousness, and fingers finding no better task than to claw at the cushions at which they only tapped against few minutes before. "I mean, he's a nice guy."

"Stop talking as if you're only now considering asking him out, Hyunjin. You made your interest in him very clear to me just a few weeks ago, remember?" The younger spoke rather assertively, one hand reaching up to slide over his face, followed by a sigh flaring his nostrils. "We both know that you only feel more confident now because of his breakup. But I won't stop you or anything. You can make your own decisions. And I respect that. All I have to say is, be careful."

"Careful with what exactly?"

"He's pregnant, Jinnie. With another man's child. A man that he loved, to be exact. I don't have much experience but, I don't think that it would be easy to just move on from a relationship like that." Jeongin shook his head as the achingly truthful words left his lips. With a mindset that adored even just the aura of a contented Hyunjin, he could only try his best to be as cautious as possible with his choice of locution-